Albacore Flies

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
downsized....figure I may as well have a variety...

yLpMQl7.jpg

that said, my Tuner box (it's big) is rapidly filling up.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
So fishing some tuna like flies for rockfish and lings this weekend, the big coneheads did a lot better than other flies tied with wraps of lead. I think this was because the jiggy action I could get while stripping the fly, is this something that I should do for tuners also?
great minds must think alike....haha!...or maybe not so great on my end. I've been tying up a few with heavy coneheads with lead wrap underneath the cone to give it more of that vertical action. may as well be [over] prepared. The long time tuna fly guys are probably getting a nice little chuckle at those of us who haven't been out as much with the shit we're tying....haha!

thatguyryry

great minds must think alike....haha!...or maybe not so great on my end. I've been tying up a few with heavy coneheads with lead wrap underneath the cone to give it more of that vertical action. may as well be [over] prepared. The long time tuna fly guys are probably getting a nice little chuckle at those of us who haven't been out as much with the shit we're tying....haha!
Totally. I lost the label for those coneheads I posted in the what's catching you fish thread, I'll still try to take a look at Anils

SilverFly

Not sure 12 years counts as a "long time", but whenever I think I've had something about this fishery figured out, it throws me a curve ball. Either that or I'm just slow (maybe both). So no chuckles from me, and nobody here is tying shit.

Kfish

WFF Supporter
Recent jiggy flies had me not wanting to miss out so I tied one with heavy lead eyes.
I was going with a clouser style but like this look more. Dilemma was with the eye placement, on top and it won't properly keel. Bottom it would take away from the hook gap.
So I filed away some of the center of the eye, figured there's no beach to bash it on/durability issues. This way the eye will sit closer to the shank, am probably over thinking it lol.
Still not liking the bottom air gap by the eyes though, fish probably won't care.
I was given some squimpish fibre a long time ago, finally has a big enough fly to use it on.
Liking the rough raggedy appearance of it.

PXL_20210613_023435180.jpg

DSC09331.jpg

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts