Albacore Flies

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I've looked at this about 16 times. Every time I kinda giggle like an excited child, then i shy away from the screen. Seriously. Fly of the year. Is that a thing? It should be. FOTY.

It's even more impressive in person. It's an incredible fly. Guy gifted me one last summer and it has a place of honor amongst the other flies hanging in the boat I run. Just about everyone who has been on my boat checks it out and comments how amazing it is.

20200823_114204.jpg

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Soooooo, uhhhhhh, these came today....

PqngIVw.jpg

You know, just in case we happen to see a Mako or something like that.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Oh damn.... those must be SERIOUS hooks. I have the Blue Water in 4/0 and even that is one hell of a gnarly hook. Can't wait to see what you come up with!
Yeah, they're pretty gnarly. The 8/0 looks pretty funny in my little HMH vise....just barely fits in the magnum jaws.

edit: chances are it'll look somewhat like a musky fly, just with a monster 8/0 shark hook hanging off of it instead of a dinky little 4/0 Trout Predator hook.

Last edited:

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I'm gonna need to make an order for more hooks soon. Inspiration is coming in faster than my supplies can keep up!

I know I said I was focusing on smaller patterns right now, but I couldn't help tying up a few larger patterns tonight, which reminded me of this pattern I tied up last year. There are times when large stuff is just what the doctor ordered.

I tied this pattern up just goofing around one day last winter. It's probably 7-8" total length, articulated, and that's the large Spawn Head on there.

A few days prior to the first WFF trip last season I had a group of fly guys out from Spokane area I believe. They didn't bring the most appropriate lines IMO, with only one bringing real sinking lines, the others had a selection of floaters and intermediates. It was a rather tough day, for several reasons, but they were able to hook fish on the troll fairly consistently. One of the 4 guys wasn't getting much action, and was changing through flies without much success. After a spell I pulled this monster out of my box and asked him if he'd humor me and tie it on. He did so, and let it back a ways behind the boat, just beyond the main prop wash. After a couple of minutes he commented to me that he didn't have much confidence in it as his intermediate line wasn't doing a good job of getting the fly very far beneath the surface. (Pattern was unweighted) From my elevated position on the rail, just outside the starboard helm window, I was able to see fly pretty well. It would dive beneath the surface then pop up and kinda skip. I watched it for a few seconds and told him to trust me, that it would absolutely catch fish.

A few minutes later an albacore destroyed it, and he was deep into backing before he knew it. He was pretty stoked. Unfortunately, he got worn out fighting it and decided to crank down his drag in an attempt to slow the fish from running again (futile). It quickly snapped his leader.

We were both bummed he lost the fish, and I was doubly bummed to lose a fly that was fairly time consuming to tie, especially after only fishing it for a few minutes. He learned a good lesson that cranking down the drag isn't going to do much but cause grief, and he didn't make that mistake again.

DSC02325.JPG

Last edited:

Kfish

WFF Supporter
I'm gonna need to make an order for more hooks soon. Inspiration is coming in faster than my supplies can keep up!

I know I said I was focusing on smaller patterns right now, but I couldn't help tying up a few larger patterns tonight, which reminded me of this pattern I tied up last year. There are times when large stuff is just what the doctor ordered.

I tied this pattern up just goofing around one day last winter. It's probably 7-8" total length, articulated, and that's the large Spawn Head on there.

A few days prior to the first WFF trip last season I had a group of fly guys out from Spokane area I believe. They didn't bring the most appropriate lines IMO, with only one bringing real sinking lines, the others had a selection of floaters and intermediates. It was a rather tough day, for several reasons, but they were able to hook fish on the troll fairly consistently. One of the 4 guys wasn't getting much action, and was changing through flies without much success. After a spell I pulled this monster out of my box and asked him if he'd humor me and tie it on. He did so, and let it back a ways behind the boat, just beyond the main prop wash. After a couple of minutes he commented to me that he didn't have much confidence in it as his intermediate line wasn't doing a good job of getting the fly very far beneath the surface. (Pattern was unweighted) From my elevated position on the rail, just outside the starboard helm window, I was able to see fly pretty well. It would dive beneath the surface then pop up and kinda skip. I watched it for a few seconds and told him to trust me, that it would absolutely catch fish.

A few minutes later an albacore destroyed it, and he was deep into backing before he knew it. He was pretty stoked. Unfortunately, he got worn out fighting it and decided to crank down his drag in an attempt to slow the fish from running again (futile). It quickly snapped his leader.

We were both bummed he lost the fish, and I was doubly bummed to lose a fly that was fairly time consuming to tie, especially after only fishing it for a few minutes. He learned a good lesson that cranking down the drag isn't going to do much but cause grief, and he didn't make that mistake again.

View attachment 269610
Always enjoyed your fishing stories Nick!

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter

View attachment 269610
That beauty needs a name. Blitz?
srft2io2hkaj5ugbelrf.jpg

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts