Albacore Flies

JayB

Question for the people using the Spawn fly-heads, what model and hook are you using? I picked up a few of the "crew boss" heads based solely on the color - and to my eye at least it looks way too big to be compatible a standard shank 2/0 hook.

SilverFly

First trip is next Sunday (weather permitting). Going through my boxes to see if there's anything I missed ... and remembered @Nick Clayton saying a few years ago they were eating a lot of lanternfish. I've never seen one myself but all the online pics show a small, very dark fish with a big head and eyes. Tied on 3/0 live bait hook.

20210829_150006.jpg

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
First trip is next Sunday (weather permitting). Going through my boxes to see if there's anything I missed ... and remembered @Nick Clayton saying a few years ago they were eating a lot of lanternfish. I've never seen one myself but all the online pics show a small, very dark fish with a big head and eyes. Tied on 3/0 live bait hook.

View attachment 293648

I have seen a lot of lanternfish! Looks like you got the colors about right, not sure about the shape. They tend to have a big bullet head and taper from there. Your fly might look like that in the water though.

You might need your extra heavy head to get down to where they hang out during the day!

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Premium

View attachment 293648

oh man, just have Nick give you the big orange/green fly (his favorite color orange...lol) I left on his boat....

Or, you could fish that little thing as a trailer behind your Kraken.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk

View attachment 293648

That is very similar to what Mark was using last year and had very good success with it! IMG_0721.jpg

SilverFly

That is very similar to what Mark was using last year and had very good success with it! View attachment 293674
That fly was absolutely one of the reasons I wanted to tie a lanternfish pattern. Not that I necessarily didn't think it would catch tuna, but damn, did it catch tuna. Lanternfish or squid (which can be very dark) were the only things I could think of as imitations.

Here's one of the better pics of a live one stolen from the internet:

Lanternfish.jpg

Matt B

WFF Premium
That fly was absolutely one of the reasons I wanted to tie a lanternfish pattern. Not that I necessarily didn't think it would catch tuna, but damn, did it catch tuna. Lanternfish or squid (which can be very dark) were the only things I could think of as imitations.

Here's one of the better pics of a live one stolen from the internet:

View attachment 293697
The pupil in the eye of your pattern is way too big. Maybe it’s the tweaker lanternfish pattern :p

Matt B

WFF Premium
It does look seriously tweaked. Guessing it was still alive and freaking out at being in full sunlight.
Right, but I don’t think fish pupils contract like ours can? In which case you’d think a denizen of the deep would have a larger pupil? I’m out of my depth here.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts