Anything new??

Mark Kadoshima

IMG_1384.jpg
Just varnishing up a 6' 9" 2 wt dedicated to my wife of 33 years. The 'Lil Bee'. Hoping to use it on some small streams this summer. Of course....could turn out to be a 3 wt... or a 1 wt....
Used Dave Norling's micro ferrules. Also my first attempt at a birch bark grip. Used some bark I scavenged from a favorite Hoh river run. Turned out like really heavy cork though. Nor sure if I didn't let it dry enough. A little heavy for a 2 wt...but she'll fish.
Just doing the final planing on an attempt of a 10' 6" 2wt three piece spey....we'll see : ).
I might be transforming a lot of perfectly good bamboo culms into really ornate, long, chopsticks.

Steve Kokita

FISHON206
Something fun brewing in the Hotrodz shop....a friend found an abandoned bamboo rod in the house they bought 11 years ago. He asked if I wanted a project....well, you know me! Four mismatched sections, bad rewrap, sets, poor varnish job. The butt section ferrule is Granger, the others step down like a Monty. One tip 10” short, mixed ferrules.....but....the butt section turns out a first era Granger Deluxe estimated 1918-1922. :)The wraps might not be original, not sure but the cane is in decent shape. After posting on Classicflyrodforum, 601 views with one reply. :( Good info from Dave though. A site finecane.com has some great info and photos of first era Deluxe rods. So.....out to the shop.....I ditched the funky mid/tip and used some closer in color and diameter. It’s now a 7’ one piece twin scarfed Deluxe they’ve never seen! I stained the bamboo darker to match Granger’s color, left the grubby patina on the full wells tournament style grip, polished the cool reelseat and have five of seven coats of Tru Oil on now. I’m going to match the original wraps, it’s going to be a real pain....besides being one piece, it has a bunch of intermediate wraps....so I’ll have to do it in
stages. Here’s what it started as.....
6AE2ADD9-93C6-4BB0-8E7E-F538A19B1381.jpeg 495FAF63-EE89-4B4E-A150-640507A9252B.jpeg 91597540-7252-4B99-BAD0-06AA26CF7ABC.jpeg

Last edited:

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
WFF Supporter
What's new?
Today I took three rectangular pieces of wood, Padauk, Bocote and Hard Maple (red, brown and white) and turned them into three round pieces of wood with a hole through the middle and an area of reduced radius that matches the bottom of a reel foot. Normally we call these reel seat inserts or just reel seats.

Last edited:

Mark Kadoshima

View attachment 275854
Just varnishing up a 6' 9" 2 wt dedicated to my wife of 33 years. The 'Lil Bee'. Hoping to use it on some small streams this summer. Of course....could turn out to be a 3 wt... or a 1 wt....
Used Dave Norling's micro ferrules. Also my first attempt at a birch bark grip. Used some bark I scavenged from a favorite Hoh river run. Turned out like really heavy cork though. Nor sure if I didn't let it dry enough. A little heavy for a 2 wt...but she'll fish.
Just doing the final planing on an attempt of a 10' 6" 2wt three piece spey....we'll see : ).
I might be transforming a lot of perfectly good bamboo culms into really ornate, long, chopsticks.
Well, my '2 wt' casts a 3 wt line really well. I don't have any 2 wt lines to try yet, but at least it's not a 4 wt!
Any suggestions for a 2 wt line? I'd usually just get a Sylk DT.

Steve Kokita

FISHON206
They are made separately.....cork seats will wear out faster than wood, but you can always shim them. Look at Orvis rods with cork seats, they use double rings. It’d be easy to replace a cork seat if needed.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts