Anything new??

Mark Kadoshima

Ok, this is nostalgic. Happy to see a thread I can relate to.
About 50 years ago, I was given a 9ft. 3 section bamboo rod , in a canvas case with two extra tips (3rd sections) in an aluminum or tin tube. It looked a lot like the Grangers ive seen posted here, same color wraps , same grip, but on the reel seat, (silver metal maybe aluminum or light steel) it read, in script, E. F. Wiiliams and Sons.

Anyone ever heard of this company? It would have been an east coast thing, if that helps.

I still have it, somewhere in my storage of boyhood things. Seeing what some of you are doing makes me want to go find it, even its just to refinish and make a wall hanger out of it.
It would be a fun project. Many of the guys here or on the Classic Rod Forum could help you with refinishing it.
Fishing it would be especially fun.

Tom Bowden

View attachment 279454 Taper of a Heddon #50 President 8' 6" 3 piece with a light and a heavy tip. I'm hoping for this to be my Hebgen Lake rod of the future. Rough planing.
I took my 8 foot three piece 5 wt out on a boat for src last Sunday. Stupidly, I brought my full sink 6 instead of my 5 wt line....but it cast it really well. Must've made a 6 wt instead. I'm noticing that some of the rods I'm making seem to be a little heavier that the planned taper. I think I'm doing a pretty good job of planing to the numbers, but maybe my gluing up is thick? Anyway, I'm going to 'skinny' down my numbers just a tad on this next rod.
Ray Gould studied the effect of glue on taper diameter. He said the urea formaldehyde left a residue of .001”, which translates to .004” rod diameter because of angles and the number of glue lines in a section. He suggested reducing each strip by .002” to compensate. Thinner glues or mixes would require less.

I never write the line weight on a rod.

Mark Kadoshima

Ray Gould studied the effect of glue on taper diameter. He said the urea formaldehyde left a residue of .001”, which translates to .004” rod diameter because of angles and the number of glue lines in a section. He suggested reducing each strip by .002” to compensate. Thinner glues or mixes would require less.

I never write the line weight on a rod.

Mark Kadoshima

My 10' 6" 2/3/4 doublehander. I placed a small extra band of wrap between each guide hoping it will give a little extra strength as I hollowed it pretty aggressively.
Note the vagueness of the rod weight : ). I'm learning! I'll try it out next week on the beach. IMG_1489.jpg

Tom Bowden

Tenkara, lakes style!
I made a 10' switch rod that I sometimes use for indicator fishing. Casting a slip indicator and 10-20' of leader is a bit more graceful with a switch cast than overhead, the long rod makes it easier to hook the fish when the indicator goes down, and the extra length is helpful landing fish with a long leader.

Mark Kadoshima

My adaptation of a Heddon #50 President 8' 6" 3 piece...one light tip and a heavy tip ferruled up. Can't wait to give this one a try and see the difference between the tips. Why did Heddon simply number his rods? Doesn't seem to be any specific logic to the numbering system.

Attachments

• IMG_1498.jpg
    IMG_1498.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 7

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
WFF Supporter
My adaptation of a Heddon #50 President 8' 6" 3 piece...one light tip and a heavy tip ferruled up. Can't wait to give this one a try and see the difference between the tips. Why did Heddon simply number his rods? Doesn't seem to be any specific logic to the numbering system.

Here's a couple of pages that might help from Michael Sinclair's book, Heddon, The Rod With The Fighting Heart
Heddon Ferrules.jpg Heddon Ferrules2.jpg

Reactions: et

Mark Kadoshima

Here's a couple of pages that might help from Michael Sinclair's book, Heddon, The Rod With The Fighting Heart
View attachment 281978 View attachment 281979
Thanks Tim,
Interesting reading. So, I built a ?(grade)-8 1/2-2 1/2 rod. I used what I believe is a grade A culm so not sure what that means. His idea as to the ferrule dictating the action and weight seems to have validity as the taper I used was supposed to use 11 and 18 size ferrules, but I had to use 12 and 19 ferrules...so probably a little heavier (as is usually the case with my rods : ).

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts