Anything new??

para_adams

Been concentrating on my "new" '69 FJ40 Land Cruiser. But my b'day is coming up, so I treated myself: Bought a "new" Peerless #5 Dry Fly Special.
That's one I'd like to see, pics please! Those DFS rods cast very well. Good blend of power and smooth, medium/medium fast flex. They take a double haul quite well and are good for casting large flies into the wind. Mr. Phillipson produced yet another great western rod with his DFS.

BearBio

That's one I'd like to see, pics please! Those DFS rods cast very well. Good blend of power and smooth, medium/medium fast flex. They take a double haul quite well and are good for casting large flies into the wind. Mr. Phillipson produced yet another great western rod with his DFS.
When I get a chance==having problems downloading pics lately (New computer)

Mike Monsos

AKA flyman219
WFF Supporter
I'm finally putting the final touches on a threesome of rods I have have been tinkering with for a long time. I bet it was three years ago that I planed out the strips for these. Nearest is a Para 14 taper, the middle is a Payne 197 taper and the far one is a Leonard 50 D taper. I'll be able to cast them soon as the reel seats are set. 20210521_031627503_iOS.jpg

Mark Kadoshima

I'm finally putting the final touches on a threesome of rods I have have been tinkering with for a long time. I bet it was three years ago that I planed out the strips for these. Nearest is a Para 14 taper, the middle is a Payne 197 taper and the far one is a Leonard 50 D taper. I'll be able to cast them soon as the reel seats are set. View attachment 282555
Okay...I'm assuming placing the reel seat last helps align it correctly with the guides or are there other advantages? I've got a couple reels just a degree or so out of sync with the guides : )

Mike Monsos

AKA flyman219
WFF Supporter
For me I add the reel seat last just for that reason. I turn my own reel seat inserts so I can custom cut the length if necessary to keep all the sections equal. If you are using premade reel seat sets you'll need to be sure of your grip position if you add the reel seat last. Tom Morgan sold the neat alignment reel foot and pin that is on the near rod. It really helps and is light, in a pinch reel cages work well also. I clamp my base section to a board to keep the flat with the stripper guide in the up position so I can eye the alignment during the glue up.

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
Okay...I'm assuming placing the reel seat last helps align it correctly with the guides or are there other advantages? I've got a couple reels just a degree or so out of sync with the guides : )

Hmmm, I do it the other way around, ie, center the reel seat on the flat opposite the spine (if there is one), then add cork grip, then guides on the same flat. Everyone has their own method, which is kinda neat.

cheers

Mike Monsos

AKA flyman219
WFF Supporter
Hmmm, I do it the other way around, ie, center the reel seat on the flat opposite the spine (if there is one), then add cork grip, then guides on the same flat. Everyone has their own method, which is kinda neat.

cheers
I totally agree, there are plusses and minuses for any different method. That's the fun part also, so many small things to consider and try out to see if it works in your own system. Sometimes even the most minor change in method can be a "ah-ha" moment :) and of course there's always the WTH did I do that for:confused:

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
I totally agree, there are plusses and minuses for any different method. That's the fun part also, so many small things to consider and try out to see if it works in your own system. Sometimes even the most minor change in method can be a "ah-ha" moment :) and of course there's always the WTH did I do that for:confused:
Yup, I tried wrapping in reverse, ie, starting up near the eye and wrapping towards and then onto the cane - thought it would be easier to control the # of off foot wraps (ie, I like 3), problem was without a base, wraps would slide off that last little edge on the foot leaving a gap :eek:, you'd have to really file them down for it to work.

cheers

Mark Kadoshima

View attachment 272262
Attempt at another picture. My 7' 6" 3 pc 5 wt for hopefully an alpine lake with a full sink line.
Gives you all an idea as to my organization! : )
Haven't had a chance to get up to an alpine lake yet, so brought it to the beach this morning. Throws a 6wt intermediate fairly well. Caught a couple small src...lot of fun with such a light rod! Realized as I was lining the rod, I managed to get one of the guides off by one hex : (. Still fished fine but got a little correction to take care of. Do I use mineral spirits to removed the varnish over the threads? I've got Tru oil over the blank.

Mark Kadoshima

Thomas Special 8' 3 pc 4wt with two tips waiting to get some coats of oil. I made one of the tips just a hair lighter just to see if I can tell the difference.

Attachments

• IMG_1577.jpg
    IMG_1577.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 3

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts