Any tips on finding "Dry Line Steelhead" or "Greased Line Fishing"?

DerekWhipple

I've been trying to find either of these books. Do not appear to be in print at Amato anymore. Should I look for dusty copies in the back of a Bi-Mart somewhere?

skyrise

CCA, Hatchery Wild Coexist
also try this website. FishMadman. It’s mostly centered around Atlantic Salmon but some Steelhead too.

dogsnfish

I did not have trouble finding greased line at a used book store, waking provides some good sources. I got mine from a bookstore in Oregon that specialized in used fishing books, but cannot remember the name. Wait until you start looking for "Fine and far off!" All of these pop up on spey pages but you need to be quick.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
damn, I shoulda held onto my copy of Dry Line Steelhead a little bit longer for the investment.

dogsnfish

damn, I shoulda held onto my copy of Dry Line Steelhead a little bit longer for the investment.
I have dry line, greased line, and fine and far off. Also have a puppy. She grabbed a book off of the lower book shelf and chewed it up, right next to it was those three books. Told my wife how lucky I was that puppy did not grab those, then told her the going price. Wife's eyes got real big and told me I better move the %^&$%^ books to the top shelf.

CreekScrambler

I've long since decided that library/library loan is the only way I'm gonna be able to crack these books open and read them for myself. It's bad enough that the fish are unobtainium...why introduce additional unicorns to the pastime?

DerekWhipple

A little out of my price range (and part of the reason for the thread). I'm looking to purchase a readable copy, not looking for any saintly relics.

KillerDave

Have camera, will travel...
I have the Dry Line Steelhead book and like it. How can you not like Bill McMillan's writing? It's fantastic. Even though his writings have an almost cult like following, in 40 years of fishing kind of a lot I have never seen anyone fishing his way except for Mr. McMillian himself. One of my old girlfriends lived on the Washougal below where he used to fish so I was able to see him fishing several times, but I was distracted at the time and don't remember much other than he fished a really tight mostly downstream swing next to boulders.

I may still have the Greased Line book, but am not really sure. I may have tossed it. From a technique perspective it talks about presenting your fly broadside in the current, just under the surface. How complicated is that? How many pages do you need to understand that? It's like an insurance textbook where the author is paid by the pound. Still, there's other interesting discussions about turn of the century tackle, and while they don't present it this way there is the fact that Jock Scott was more of a man than you or I are because he could cast a 13' bamboo rod single handled all day and also that he was also a fantastic gardener. He lived a pretty good life IMO.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts