NFR Travel Trailer Advice

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
Started building my satellite internet system for the travel trailer. Boondocking just got way more fun

001(35).jpg
Where you gonna stow that? Looks like a space eater. (and nice to meet you too).

cheers

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
Where you gonna stow that? Looks like a space eater. (and nice to meet you too).

cheers

Still trying to figure that out. It breaks down into a couple of pieces but it is a bulky.

I think I can put the frame on the roof and just stuff the dish into the trailer until we get to camp.

Ideally I could build another frame using a tripod but like I said, just getting into this project.

cdnred

Started building my satellite internet system for the travel trailer. Boondocking just got way more fun

001(35).jpg
I'm assuming you had checked out Camping World or other travel trailer sites. They do make satelite receivers that mount on the top of trailers plus the also sell portable units as well.

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
I'm assuming you had checked out Camping World or other travel trailer sites. They do make satelite receivers that mount on the top of trailers plus the also sell portable units as well.

I did but pretty sure those are just for tv. I was more interested in internet.

The guy I'm working with out of Kalispell is one of the few in the country who has licensing for mobile satellite internet. Didn't realize it was that regulated.

Hopefully, sooner than later, the technology gets us to where we can use something like what you posted and just mount on the top. Much less bulky.

I'll try this out and let folks know if it is worth it. It could be a complete waste of time/money.

cdnred

Last edited:

creekx

Director of Stoke
I did but pretty sure those are just for tv. I was more interested in internet.

The guy I'm working with out of Kalispell is one of the few in the country who has licensing for mobile satellite internet. Didn't realize it was that regulated.

Hopefully, sooner than later, the technology gets us to where we can use something like what you posted and just mount on the top. Much less bulky.

I'll try this out and let folks know if it is worth it. It could be a complete waste of time/money.
Starlink will be a gamechanger.

https://www.starlink.com/

Triggw

Yes mounted on my roof, two 130 watt panels. I bought a kit from Renogy solar. Everything I needed for install. Great instructions and good support people. I called their help line a couple of time and received good answers that I could understand and implement.
What's involved in actually attaching the panels to the roof? What kind of supports are up there that you have to locate and drill/screw into? How do you guard against leaks?

jesse clark

RVS have a plywood underlayment under the finish roof material. I used the wood screws that came with the kit to install 6 aluminum L brackets to the roof. I used Dicor roof sealant in and around the holes before I screwed down the brackets. After all the brackets were installed I added more Dicor around the brackets.
The 2x4 panels attach to the 6 brackets with a little space between them and the roof.
I routed the cables down through the refrigerator vent (typical application) to the inside of the trailer. That way there were no more holes to patch.
It was an all day project. I took my time and called the manufacturer a couple of times to verify that I was getting the electrical install correct. I am a carpenter not an electrician.
It works great and no leaks.

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
Please note Jesse's mention of using Dicor as a sealant. Don't be tempted to go to your local hardware store and substitute silicone sealant instead. It is easy to seal roof holes if done right using the right materials.

Make sure everything is scrupulously clean and degreased with denatured alcohol before applying sealant. And if possible do it on a warm day with warm sealant.

Dicor is available at most RV stores and on line.

dogsnfish

Yea, that's what I've been seeing.....not super efficient.....I been looking at a simple folding, portable setup, not something I would bolt onto my trailer.....just not real sure about what I would need yet.
I spend summers boondocking in my favorite fishing areas. We have a 100W panel and two 6V batteries, plus a built-in LP generator. Only rarely do we need to use the genie to charge the batteries, it is mainly for running the AC on very hot days, or when we need the microwave. The solar handles the rest, and we often stay out for 7 to 10 days.

BC33

I spend summers boondocking in my favorite fishing areas. We have a 100W panel and two 6V batteries, plus a built-in LP generator. Only rarely do we need to use the genie to charge the batteries, it is mainly for running the AC on very hot days, or when we need the microwave. The solar handles the rest, and we often stay out for 7 to 10 days.
Thank you! That's exactly the feedback I was looking for!

creekx

Director of Stoke
That looks really cool. Not too expensive and no data restrictions.

I went ahead and put a deposit down. It won't be available here for another 6-12 months so I can use what I already have this season.

I dig this technology. Super fun. Just hope it works.
We are building and moving into a rural area where internet service is a challenge. Working from home, online schooling, TV streaming, etc. require more bandwidth and speed than is available via traditional means. A friend of mine has a StarLink beta now - a close friend of his buddy works for SpaceX. I will be quizzing him on the functionality, speeds, drops, etc. There are brief discontinuity issues when your gear switches satellites, but they will continue to launch more. Like you said though, not too expensive - especially when you compare it an Xfinity bill. Go figure - my Xfinity internet went down while typing this...

Other satellite, CATV, and phone providers are probably crapping their collective pants right now.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Still trying to figure that out. It breaks down into a couple of pieces but it is a bulky.

I think I can put the frame on the roof and just stuff the dish into the trailer until we get to camp.

Ideally I could build another frame using a tripod but like I said, just getting into this project.

Is there a requirement to roof mount or can it be on the ground? The inability to consistently work remotely is the only thing keeping me from essentially being close to fully mobile in the summer using my trailer. I’ll be watching this thread closely.

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
Is there a requirement to roof mount or can it be on the ground? The inability to consistently work remotely is the only thing keeping me from essentially being close to fully mobile in the summer using my trailer. I’ll be watching this thread closely.

I’m putting mine on the ground. I’m not really sure how a roof mount system would work. That thing would be a huge sail.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts