Simms Guide waders...

bhudda

heffe'
I understand they are to replace the Headwaters Pro model...
Anyone here own the Headwaters Pro? I have had the old guide waters (model before the G3 came out) the OG SIMMS GUIDE WADERS, frankly IMO the best ones they ever made for the money. I purchased the second round of guide model waders when they re-introduced them after the G3 and G4 came out... not the same as the old ones FYI. So I’m in the market for waders again, lucky me?

Joe H

I've owned a couple pairs of Headwaters (not sure if they were the Pro model though).
Both pairs were pretty durable but nowhere near as heavy duty as the G3 or G4 waders.

Atlantic Salmon

WFF Premium
You can get some good deals on the headwater pros since they are on close out. I think they have one less layer or gortex than the G3. Blackberry bushes still go through both pairs.

SaltyCutt

Beach Bum
I have the new G4s, with less material I guess... garbage. Blackberries shredded them and I don't even remember dealing with Blackberries last winter. Whatever, probably gonna try Patagonia in a couple years once these are just shoulder straps and aquaseal.

bhudda

heffe'
I’ve had my share of waders , and I know they eventually fail but right out of the gate is what I’m hearing a lot of which is QC dept. oversight ...or they are “good enough” sadly. Idk, I just want some value for the money.... C3A20538-2DE9-4453-8893-F1B48CC215C7.jpeg

up2nogood

I have the new G4s, with less material I guess... garbage. Blackberries shredded them and I don't even remember dealing with Blackberries last winter. Whatever, probably gonna try Patagonia in a couple years once these are just shoulder straps and aquaseal.
Went with a pair of Patagonia Swiftcurrent pants , we will see how they do .

bhudda

heffe'
I've owned a couple pairs of Headwaters (not sure if they were the Pro model though).
Both pairs were pretty durable but nowhere near as heavy duty as the G3 or G4 waders.
How did the seams hold up on the headwaters? Still in use?

bhudda

heffe'
For 100$ more you get the G3’s so not a big jump, but if the headwater pros were decent then I’m curious...everything now is goretex pro shell, I wish there was the option to build your own with 5 layer goretex (old school) and no frills... would be a cool option

Joe H

How did the seams hold up on the headwaters? Still in use?
The first pair is still in use, with about 3 tubes of aquaseal covering all the punctures and inside leg seams. The newer pair leak at the left bootie junction (sent back for repair but leak developed shortly thereafter in the same spot), but seams are holding fine.

I just saw the Pro's on sale yesterday and thought about picking a pair up, then remembered I got some NIB, old school Dan Baileys (like hanging in your pic), from a member here last fall.

dustinchromers

For 100$ more you get the G3’s so not a big jump, but if the headwater pros were decent then I’m curious...everything now is goretex pro shell, I wish there was the option to build your own with 5 layer goretex (old school) and no frills... would be a cool option

My understanding is the old school guide waders became the g4. I've owned both and the G3. Imho the G3 falls short for the hike allot in the brush guy. G4 are pretty good. I'd say almost as good as the old school guide waders. The got Tex fabric the old guide waders were made of is not available to Simms anymore is my understanding. That was the solid space program stuff. Now you got the space force needing all that to make uniforms so you get the g4 fabric which is pretty good and worth the upcharge. I've owned or have owned all three. That's my unbias review of the situation as I too was trying to get the old school guides as well.

I have the G4's and have a different experience. They are comfortable, rugged, fit great. I just sold a pair of G3's that I bought in the early 2000's that were used over 100 fish days for years. I stopped wearing them only because I got fatter and needed a larger size.

SaltyCutt

Beach Bum
I have the G4's and have a different experience. They are comfortable, rugged, fit great. I just sold a pair of G3's that I bought in the early 2000's that were used over 100 fish days for years. I stopped wearing them only because I got fatter and needed a larger size.
Good to hear, I'm hoping I just happened to hammer them without realizing it and they hold up since they're less than a year old. Hopefully they'll hold now that I've got them glued up

Redington Sonic Pro HDZ for me. Last pair lasted me 8 years, with 75+ days per year on the water. First leak was last winter, and I probably coukd have aquasealed them, but figured after that long I deserved a new pair. Bought some this fall, and they are super comfortable. I do not even give underbrush a thought in them.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts