Simms Guide waders...

bhudda

heffe'
I’ve actually never tried the Redingtons or Orvis. Heard great from both... my down fall in waders has been the bush wacking.. I do a lot of it and it has decreased the life of my waders ten fold. Guys who fish out of a boat tend to get years of life out of waders. Alas, Aquaseal is my friend...

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
I’ve actually never tried the Redingtons or Orvis. Heard great from both... my down fall in waders has been the bush wacking.. I do a lot of it and it has decreased the life of my waders ten fold. Guys who fish out of a boat tend to get years of life out of waders. Alas, Aquaseal is my friend...
Pro tip for bushwacking.
Get a pair of the Helly Hansen PVC bib rainwear and pull it on over your waders Harry Lemire style.

Tim Lockhart

I'd be curious about anyone's experience bushwacking in the Orvis. I went to the Silver Sonic a while back after G3's weren't cutting it - mostly in a float tube - lakes are hard on waders but in a different way. Night and day difference on both performance and price. I don't futz with wader repair anymore and the orvis feel like street clothes compared to the simms.

bhudda

heffe'
Wright and Mcgill made a bomb proof wader, just not aesthetically pleasing. Bare waders had a chest wader that was like actually wearing pants, loved the fit, just leaked like a faucet. Dan Bailey made the best value wader period...for value. Just odd fit up top. Loop......fashionable, but was a joke. Guidelines....had me taking the bait but in the end, getting service for a European made wader didn’t workout and Jack was never avail ...until I saw him at the show :) ...
so I revert back to Bozeman’s best! And that’s where I’ve been...

Shad

Waders... Ugh. As mentioned, if you do a lot of walking and even occasional bushwhacking, they simply don't last that long. In my experience, Simms are the best all-around. I've been in Redington HD-Zs for the past 3 years, and I've replaced them twice, both times because the stockingfeet wore through under the balls of my feet. Seams and general leak protection seem great, though; no problems there. They're pretty good overall. I just wish I could figure out how to make the stockingfeet hold up better. Good, thick socks seem to slow the wear process a bit....

matchu865

WFF Supporter
If you’re gonna bushwhack in any waders just buy a cheap pair of rain pants to put over them. I use a camo pair for duck hunting and it works great and even keeps me a little bit warmer. Plus if you’re walking through a swamp it keeps the mud off your waders pretty well.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk

Does this mean your going to fish more than 2 days this winter/spring? :eek: :p :p:D

JayB

STP has the Simms Headwaters Pro waders on sale for about 40% off right now, in pretty much every size if anyone is interested in picking up a pair.

CreekScrambler

If you’re gonna bushwhack in any waders just buy a cheap pair of rain pants to put over them. I use a camo pair for duck hunting and it works great and even keeps me a little bit warmer. Plus if you’re walking through a swamp it keeps the mud off your waders pretty well.
Whoa this is the small $ insurance plan that I'll be protecting my next set of waders with. My current set of old school Gore-Tex Simms will be retired this fall after many years of faithful service and a year of less-faithful service. I have some knee-high gaiters that might see service as well.

The PVC bibs mentioned earlier seem legit, too, but HH seems a little $$ for my tastes.

Does anybody else wonder what fool first came to this beautiful, unspoiled country and thought, "Y'know what this place needs? Gnarly thorned viny bushes. Big enough to swallow a barn and fill any empty land. Blackberries oughta do it."

Matt B

WFF Supporter
Whoa this is the small $ insurance plan that I'll be protecting my next set of waders with. My current set of old school Gore-Tex Simms will be retired this fall after many years of faithful service and a year of less-faithful service. I have some knee-high gaiters that might see service as well.

The PVC bibs mentioned earlier seem legit, too, but HH seems a little $$ for my tastes.

Does anybody else wonder what fool first came to this beautiful, unspoiled country and thought, "Y'know what this place needs? Gnarly thorned viny bushes. Big enough to swallow a barn and fill any empty land. Blackberries oughta do it."
I have read that we have Luther Burbank to “thank” for those ubiquitous blackberries.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts