12' 5/6 "Do-it-all" line?

Ryan Janos

I'm building an IM8 12' 5/6 and believe the mid-range grain weight to be ~375. I'm hoping to get some advice on a Rio line that might cross-over well between the following:

1. Overhead or roll-casting for LCT at Pyramid Lake; need to be able to throw 10-15' sink tip while being able to strip the line all the way to the tip. That means an integrated running line.
2. Swinging for summer steelhead in medium sized water.

Does anyone have experience with an Outbound Short on a 12' rod? Within the Rio lineup it seems like it's the OBS, 5wt In-touch trout spey (@350gr. and add tips per application), In-touch skagit trout spey (@375gr. + tips), or just use a WF single hand line three sizes up. Any feedback on any of these options would be great.

GOTY

8x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
I had a similar idea a few years ago. Tried a coastal quickshooter XP (similar to OBS) on my 5wt switch rod.

My rod broke in half after about six spey casts and I never tried it again.

If I were to do it again I'd have Steve Godshall build a custom line for me. One of his intermediate scandoid or BC scandi tapers with an integrated running line could be sweet.

If you were dead set on rio, then I'd probably get a single hand spey line. Despite the name those cast overhead incredibly well. They make them in multi density as well so you can accomplish your sink tip goals.

Last edited:

Ryan Janos

If you were dead set on rio, then I'd probably get a single hand spey line. Despite the name those cast overhead incredibly well. They make them in multi density as well so you can accomplish your sink tip goals.
Thanks for the ideas. I took a look at the single hand spey and they only make it up to 300gr. I'm worried that won't get it done on the rod I'm using.

Most of the guides at Pyramid suggest a OBS to cast overhead with rods in the 11-12' range. I've also fished with a few people there who only roll cast longer heads with a 12' rod whether they're fishing a bobber or double streamer rig. So let's say I don't manage to break a rod with this plan... how do you think a OBS would work for spey casts? The head length wouldn't be a problem. Wouldn't it just be a clunky skagit setup?

GOTY

8x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Thanks for the ideas. I took a look at the single hand spey and they only make it up to 300gr. I'm worried that won't get it done on the rod I'm using.

Most of the guides at Pyramid suggest a OBS to cast overhead with rods in the 11-12' range. I've also fished with a few people there who only roll cast longer heads with a 12' rod whether they're fishing a bobber or double streamer rig. So let's say I don't manage to break a rod with this plan... how do you think a OBS would work for spey casts? The head length wouldn't be a problem. Wouldn't it just be a clunky skagit setup?
To be clear the rod broke because of a prior defect of some kind, I was just bummed because I couldn't give the idea a true test.

I don't see why an obs wouldn't work but it won't be ideal either. The single hand spey would be better for spey casts.

Is the 375 grain rating on the rod for skagit heads or what? 375 for overhead or even scandi seems pretty heavy on a 5 wt but I don't know that rod.

Also an OPST commando smooth might be something to consider.....I think SA also makes integrated skagit/scandi/streamer lines in these grain windows.

I would still just go with a custom line from Godshall. The man is a genius.

Bagman

You might want to look at the Rio 8wt coastal quick shooter, the heat is 3foot longer then the Rio OBS, and comes in at 330 grains where the OBS is 315 grains. I have a 5wt Sage Z Axis 11' switch that I will be overhead casting which I also roll cast to set up my water load on the overhead cast.

I'm building an IM8 12' 5/6 and believe the mid-range grain weight to be ~375. I'm hoping to get some advice on a Rio line that might cross-over well between the following:

1. Overhead or roll-casting for LCT at Pyramid Lake; need to be able to throw 10-15' sink tip while being able to strip the line all the way to the tip. That means an integrated running line.
2. Swinging for summer steelhead in medium sized water.

Does anyone have experience with an Outbound Short on a 12' rod? Within the Rio lineup it seems like it's the OBS, 5wt In-touch trout spey (@350gr. and add tips per application), In-touch skagit trout spey (@375gr. + tips), or just use a WF single hand line three sizes up. Any feedback on any of these options would be great.
Keep in mind that generally speaking overhead casting requires a much lighter weight head than spey casting. I suggest that you look further into the blank rating for overhead as opposed to spey casts. I like the OBS on my 11-12' two-handers. They work great but don't necessarily cast as far as a longer head, but they do the job for two-handed overhead. A solid choice for an off-the-shelf purchase. I personally wouldn't recommend the OBS for roll casting and would have at least two different head systems, especially if you are going to swing with the rod. Agree with the above advice about calling Steve Godshall--he's a pleasure to work with and probably knows that blank and what would work. Good luck.

Steelhead ©

BECU Member
WFF Supporter
I think you are on the right track with the newer Rio trout Spey lines. SA makes the same ones too. Or use the Wulff ambush 375 grain integrated line with a poly leader.

OBS isn’t a roll casting line or a distance line. It’s for repetitive overhand casting medium distances.

DerekWhipple

Shows you were I’ve been.....back to the cave!
this is within the last few months with the transfer to new owners. I was getting a couple of rods set up for jetty and surf fishing, and I had to call around to find an airflo integreated shooting head in a 7wt. I like the sniper, but it's only available in 8, 9, 10.

Ryan Janos

I think you are on the right track with the newer Rio trout Spey lines. SA makes the same ones too. Or use the Wulff ambush 375 grain integrated line with a poly leader.
I went with the Rio InTouch Trout Spey at 350gr. I'm hoping the short head will let me change tips depending on casting needs and work for both swinging and "distance" roll casting. I'll get a chance to try it next week at the Sac/Trinity. :)

dustinchromers

A 40+ or beach line would fill the bill for an all around line and is an excellent choice for a myriad of actual fishing situations. If it were me I'd have a second spool with a mono runner and be able to run various heads in short order at the ready. There's no reason not to be versatile work lines on a versatile rod weight such as a 5/6.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts