Cold toes too, 2

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
The Shawn Seeger effect is widespread and powerful.
I drove by Lake Terrell in northwest Whatcom county today and the effect of our recent Fraser river outflow is still very evident.
Lake Terrell is a good "Warm water" fishery. Way to go @Shawn Seeger ;)
This is 10 minutes from my house and slightly more than one mile from the Strait of Georgia in the Salish Sea.
20210219_115358.jpg 20210219_115403.jpg 20210219_115522.jpg 20210219_115249.jpg

Buzzy

The Shawn Seeger effect is widespread and powerful.
I drove by Lake Terrell in northwest Whatcom county today and the effect of our recent Fraser river outflow is still very evident.
Lake Terrell is a good "Warm water" fishery. Way to go @Shawn Seeger ;)
This is 10 minutes from my house and slightly more than one mile from the Strait of Georgia in the Salish Sea.
View attachment 272092 View attachment 272093 View attachment 272094 View attachment 272095
I guess no worries a out "no wake speed" on Lake Terrell, she's been Seegerized.

skyriver

I guess no worries a out "no wake speed" on Lake Terrell, she's been Seegerized.
Funny story about the "no wake speed, entire lake" at Terrell....
Opening day of duck season in the late 90s. I hit the launch at 4:30am to grab an island blind and set dekes. Had a great opener, got my limit of 7 ducks, the pooch did great. Had a great day. Probably my most enjoyable duck day ever.

Packed up and headed in. With dekes and the 95 lb mutt on the front my 12' aluminum boat with a 9.9 really drove nice. Real nice. :D I let it rip.

Well, I get to the launch and there's a game cop waiting for me. He was smiling and a truly nice guy. He checks all my ducks and all my gear. He's like "Man, you had a great day and you're WAY legal." But then he said "However, you might want to check the signs behind you." I'm like "oh shit, what did I miss." I walk up the launch and turn around and see the signs. Ugh...
I'm like "Well, I blew that rule pretty bad." He's "Yeah, you were hauling ass! that 9.9 runs great."
I told him I didn't see the signs in the dark and the previous years I had been limited to a crappy trolling motor or oars.

He then went on to tell me about all the dudes he had busted that day- 1 guy drunk, couple others shooting lead, a few boating infractions. He's like "You're the most legal guy I've checked today and I can tell you had a great day so we're gonna let the wake thing go." I was like Thank you sir!

So yeah, don't speed on Lake Terrell. You def won't get as lucky as I did. :D

Buzzy

Funny story about the "no wake speed, entire lake" at Terrell....
Opening day of duck season in the late 90s. I hit the launch at 4:30am to grab an island blind and set dekes. Had a great opener, got my limit of 7 ducks, the pooch did great. Had a great day. Probably my most enjoyable duck day ever.

Packed up and headed in. With dekes and the 95 lb mutt on the front my 12' aluminum boat with a 9.9 really drove nice. Real nice. :D I let it rip.

Well, I get to the launch and there's a game cop waiting for me. He was smiling and a truly nice guy. He checks all my ducks and all my gear. He's like "Man, you had a great day and you're WAY legal." But then he said "However, you might want to check the signs behind you." I'm like "oh shit, what did I miss." I walk up the launch and turn around and see the signs. Ugh...
I'm like "Well, I blew that rule pretty bad." He's "Yeah, you were hauling ass! that 9.9 runs great."
I told him I didn't see the signs in the dark and the previous years I had been limited to a crappy trolling motor or oars.

He then went on to tell me about all the dudes he had busted that day- 1 guy drunk, couple others shooting lead, a few boating infractions. He's like "You're the most legal guy I've checked today and I can tell you had a great day so we're gonna let the wake thing go." I was like Thank you sir!

So yeah, don't speed on Lake Terrell. You def won't get as lucky as I did. :D
The no wake limit is pretty interesting. Seems like a lot of deeper V hulls produce a lot less wake hauling ass than they do when moving slowly. I fish a big reservoir nearby in my 8-foot pram and by far it's the 18' boats coming in slow that make me sit down rather than stand.

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
The no wake limit is pretty interesting. Seems like a lot of deeper V hulls produce a lot less wake hauling ass than they do when moving slowly. I fish a big reservoir nearby in my 8-foot pram and by far it's the 18' boats coming in slow that make me sit down rather than stand.
The no wake rule was originally implemented due to concern of wakes damaging loon nests of which there are none. A few seasonal loons stop by
from time to time of which I am one. :D
I served on a board with former Lake Terrell game range manager and WDFW warden Tom Reed. I remember the discussions on this change.
Tom was responsible for creating all the islands in the shallow margins of the lake to enhance goose nesting habitat. Boy did it ever work.
The year he created the islands he lowered the lake level by at least 3 feet probably closer to 4 feet. The bass fishing was great that year.
He used a big Cat bulldozer to push the bottom of the drained shallows up into large humps and anchored big cedar trees against the edges to protect them from wind wave erosion. The lake filled back up that fall and winter and turned the humps into islands. It was really quite a project.
As an aside Tom Reed lives close to Lewistown Montana now raising horses.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts