Taking care of Patagonia Danner Foot Tractor wading boots

brkncly

I ended getting a pair of the Patagonia Danner Foot Tractor wading boots for Christmas. Haven’t taken them out yet. Was wondering for those of you that have them, did you putting some boot dressing on the leather before using them out and how do you treat the leather afterwards? They seem like a nice pair of wading boots, just want to make sure I get the longevity out of them. Since leather dries and crack when it get wet. Thanks for any input or advice!

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
WFF Supporter
Danner has gone through a variety of owners in the last ten or so years. I recently bought a pair of all around outdoor boots to replace an old pair that eventually fell apart beyond repairability. My old pair were made in Oregon and were excellent in all respects. My new pair of the same model boot are but a shadow of the original pair. They are made in Vietnam of lower grade materials and indifferent manufacturing. They are a real disappointment.

A quick look at their website clearly shows a strong push towards life style products.
I won't be buying another pair of Danner footwear.

Zak

WFF Supporter
I ended getting a pair of the Patagonia Danner Foot Tractor wading boots for Christmas. Haven’t taken them out yet. Was wondering for those of you that have them, did you putting some boot dressing on the leather before using them out and how do you treat the leather afterwards? They seem like a nice pair of wading boots, just want to make sure I get the longevity out of them. Since leather dries and crack when it get wet. Thanks for any input or advice!
Lifetime warranty! Before I decided to wear diving boots for the beach, I carefully rinsed any salt water out of mine. I dry them slowly, laying on their sides, with no heat. Other than that, no special care. The blue/gray color gets scuffed off the leather surface easily, but that is just cosmetic.

Paul Voelker

I have a pair of the Danner/Patagonia Foot Tractor wading boots and I use Obenauf's occasionally. Rub it into the leather and it's best to let them sit in front of a fireplace or you can use a hair drier to melt it in. Other wading boots I've had with synthetic material tend to wear out quickly but as long as you treat these like any other leather footwear they should last, plus resole-able. I use Obenauf's on all my other Danner boots and I specifically buy only the made in the US(Portland) models. Pretty easy to tell the quality differences between US and over-seas boots.

Greg Armstrong

WFF Supporter
They're treated to be used in water. Mine have held up well, both in the salt as well as in fresh water. I dry them slowly at room temperature w/o extra heat as was mentioned above and so far, for me as well, they show only cosmetic wear.
I'm really happy with how they've performed. They're great boots that grip really well and are super comfortable (although a little bit heavy).

BTW; Patagonia replaced my older, original style foot tractors with these free of charge when the old ones delaminated at the sole. That blew me away. I certainly didn't expect that, since my originals didn't cost nearly as much as these would have - excellent customer service.

Zak

WFF Supporter
They're treated to be used in water. Mine have held up well, both in the salt as well as in fresh water. I dry them slowly at room temperature w/o extra heat as was mentioned above and so far, for me as well, they show only cosmetic wear.
I'm really happy with how they've performed. They're great boots that grip really well and are super comfortable (although a little bit heavy).

BTW; Patagonia replaced my older, original style foot tractors with these free of charge when the old ones delaminated at the sole. That blew me away. I certainly didn't expect that, since my originals didn't cost nearly as much as these would have - excellent customer service.
I got mine as a free replacement for a pair of blown out 10 year old Riverwalkers. Agreed, Patagonia has an excellent warranty and customer service!

Bruce Baker

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Danner has gone through a variety of owners in the last ten or so years. I recently bought a pair of all around outdoor boots to replace an old pair that eventually fell apart beyond repairability. My old pair were made in Oregon and were excellent in all respects. My new pair of the same model boot are but a shadow of the original pair. They are made in Vietnam of lower grade materials and indifferent manufacturing. They are a real disappointment.

A quick look at their website clearly shows a strong push towards life style products.
I won't be buying another pair of Danner footwear.
Bummer. I have been very happy with Danner work boots, all excellent quality. Sad to see marketing guru trying to cheapen up materials and trying to increase profit by living off former high quality rep. Not a sustainable strategy IMHO. Sooner or later customer will see he paid too much, will not get burned again.

Last edited:

GAT

Dumbfounded
I didn't know Danner was back in the wading boot biz. I bought a pair many, many moons ago directly from the plant in Portland. They lasted a long time but I tell you this … you had to get them wet to put them on ! ! They had a tendency to shrink up when dry but when back to normal size when wet.

Other than that, they were the best felt/metal stud wading boots I've ever owned. They even kept me upright on the super slippery Siletz River in Oregon … but I certainly learned to water them down in my garage sink before heading out on a fishing trip. The material never cracked but did shrivel up. I don't think adding anything to the material would make much difference.

I finally had to get rid of them when I couldn't keep the soles attached... but that was after years and years and years of use.

Last edited:

Bruce Baker

I didn't know Danner was back in the wading boot biz. I bought a pair many, many moons ago directly from the plant in Portland. They lasted a long time but I tell you this … you had to get them wet to put them on ! ! They had a tendency to shrink up when dry but when back to normal size when wet.

Other than that, they were the best felt/metal stud wading boots I've ever owned. They even kept me upright on the super slippery Siletz River in Oregon … but I certainly learned to water them down in my garage sink before heading out on a fishing trip. The material never cracked but did shrivel up. I don't think adding anything to the material would make much difference.

I finally had to get rid of them when I couldn't keep the soles attached... but that was after years and years and years of use.
I have a pair of those boots. Too small now to wear with waders, but kept them in case of wet wading.

dekartes

I asked Danner, as I picked up a pair on this forum. Here is what they said:

1. Keep them clean – when you are done, brush or hose them off to get the sand and grit off of them.
  2. Keep the leather conditioned – Use some of our clear boot dressing to help keep the leather supple. Leather, even the leather we chose for this style, still needs to be conditioned. The process of getting wet and drying over and over is really hard on them. Get in the habit of applying boot dressing after each trip.
  3. Avoid Extreme heat for drying the boots – You could get away with a boot dryer but don’t set them next to a fire, or below the heater of your truck on full blast. That high temperature can start to break down some of the thermal plastics in the toe and heel as well as some of the glues used in the midsole outsole area.

Here's the dressing we mentioned: https://www.danner.com/men/boot-care/boot-dressing-clear.html

GAT

Dumbfounded
Geez... I had no idea that maintaining my Danner wading boots was so work intensive. Guess I'm lucky mine lasted as long as they did.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
I asked Danner, as I picked up a pair on this forum. Here is what they said:

1. Keep them clean – when you are done, brush or hose them off to get the sand and grit off of them.
  2. Keep the leather conditioned – Use some of our clear boot dressing to help keep the leather supple. Leather, even the leather we chose for this style, still needs to be conditioned. The process of getting wet and drying over and over is really hard on them. Get in the habit of applying boot dressing after each trip.
  3. Avoid Extreme heat for drying the boots – You could get away with a boot dryer but don’t set them next to a fire, or below the heater of your truck on full blast. That high temperature can start to break down some of the thermal plastics in the toe and heel as well as some of the glues used in the midsole outsole area.

Here's the dressing we mentioned: https://www.danner.com/men/boot-care/boot-dressing-clear.html
Reads just like the care instructions for my White's work boots, and it works with them.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts