Wading and the big swim

gt

shit happens pretty fast. i was fishing the Umpqua with my friend Bob. he had big floppy waders and not belt. he fell in, went totally under, his hat was floating down toward me. i saw him trying to stand up but underwater. i grabbed a wader strap and pulled him up onto a gravel bar i was standing on. i have also taken swims from time to time and as i get older, i am more unsure of my footing. be careful out there...

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
Thanks for the thoughts folks. Just got back from playing with the grandkids. Life is good.
I thought it might be prudent to share as a reminder, way more scared than embarrassed. I honestly can't think of anything I could of done different, and it's not like I haven't been in that spot many times. All I can figure is that loose stones brought in by higher water were firm but not yet set, and me being there long enough allowed enough water to penetrate the cobbles causing it to liquify eventually leading the whole area to slip.

bakerite

So glad you are Ok Tom. One time I had a similar experience, but a a way bigger river. backpedaled as fast as I could and didn't end up swimming. I err on the side of caution now.

Steve Vaughn

WFF Supporter
Damn man! That is scary. Glad you kept your cool and got yourself out of that situation. Beside drowning hypothermia, even after extracting oneself for a crisis, can be just as deadly - soaking wet in cold weather.

CreekScrambler

Hooooweeeee! Glad you made it! I’ve had one spooky moonwalking situation and a wet-wading bob but never a high-stakes dunking in the cold months.

Gary Thompson

dirty dog
Glad to hear your story and thank you for giving me the reminder to practice falling with waders on. Self rescue is important.
I have fallen many times and have swam out, but I was wet wading so really no problem

Gyrfalcon21

About 25 years ago I had a semi-close call in Idaho in neoprenes and I decided right then that if it is not warm enough or I'm not tough enough to wet wade, float tube or fish from shore, I am not pushing the river gods on that anymore.
I have since fished frozen a few times too many, but am alive and have most of the feeling in the extremities above thigh-high still.

Glad you made it out ok!

NukeLDO

WFF Supporter
Lost a wedding band on the Wallowa a couple winters ago flailing around as I went down. Cold water in waders is always a shock!
Glad you're ok.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
Glad you're OK Tom. And thanks for the reminder to get a little practice in under more favorable conditions!

MGTom

WFF Supporter
Glad to hear your story and thank you for giving me the reminder to practice falling with waders on. Self rescue is important.
I have fallen many times and have swam out, but I was wet wading so really no problem
Funny you mention swimming. I've swam more laps than I can count, swam across the snake for training and in a race, and can do a 2.4 ironman swim in 58min - 1:07. The thing about swimming that was useful today was the body control and muscle memory to kick, and I threw the rod with a motion just like I used to look in swim, took a stroke left arm knowing I roll right so I'd take it high on the chest and hook the leg, and surfed up onto the log. If I'm full to the waist I can't swim out, but body positioning will keep from going down in practice.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Wow Tom, glad you are still with us.

I had life and death experience with tree down at face level as I sat in VW bug 50 mph with snow banks both sides of road not to far away from you near tollgate ski area back in early 80s.

Snagly

That was a great escape. I've been the fellow leaning across the big log with my feet being sucked under and hanging on to the top for dear life. I hope you've ordered a low profile manual CO2 PFD. I won't save you all the time, but it's a nice ace in the hole. Even better, add another wading belt and make certain that the sucker is really tight.

I pack a small bag at the start of the season that has a spare pair of every fleece and wickaway layer. It goes on the floor of the back of the truck where it tangles passengers' legs. Once or twice a fall, I'm out in the boonies stripping off tops-and-or-bottoms to wear something dry for the drive home.

Sounds like a nifty move with rod-reel-fish save. May be worth a reenactment and a short video to show us how you did it.

MGTom

WFF Supporter
Sounds like a nifty move with rod-reel-fish save. May be worth a reenactment and a short video to show us how you did it.
Glad you made it out. The force against a log is amazing.
I think that just happened in a lucky way. I vaguely recall the though I need both hands, just drop it you can get it later, and I got to get this line away from me so I don't tangle in it going through my head too. It was all reaction. It happens too fast. But when I decided I was going for the log it was like kick, you need to stroke, and the rod just flew as I turned to parallel to the log and my feet came up.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info