Bobbin length?

I am new to fly tying and looking to get some basic tools to get started, I have a couple vises in mind but I'm kind of lost on bobbins. I have heard good things about the Rite bobbing but I'm not ready to spend $25-30 on a bobbin so I'm looking at Dr. Slick Titanium Oxide but they come in 3 sizes, 3, 4, and 4.75". I was just wondering what I should get, I likely won't be tying anything that's tiny or huge and if I did it would be rare. I am assuming the 4" is their "standard" size?

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
I have one high quality bobbin and I feel like it was a waste of money. I would rather have many cheap bobbins than a few expensive ones. If you're tying somewhat regularly, changing spools is a pain in the ass. If I was starting again, I would load up on the J. Stockard bobbins below. They're ridiculously cheap and great quality. I always just used 4" bobbins and haven't had any issues.

NukeLDO

WFF Supporter
I have one high quality bobbin and I feel like it was a waste of money. I would rather have many cheap bobbins than a few expensive ones. If you're tying somewhat regularly, changing spools is a pain in the ass. If I was starting again, I would load up on the J. Stockard bobbins below. They're ridiculously cheap and great quality. I always just used 4" bobbins and haven't had any issues.

I think you'll find the shorter bobbins don't feel quite as natural in hand as the longer ones. But that might just be because of what I learned to tie with. With a few years under my belt now, both short and longer bobbins have a place at the table.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts