Reference Dry Falls boat launch improvements - private funding question and volunteer labor question

Buzzy

Dry Falls opens March 1st - the boat launch looks like this: 1.jpg 2.JPG
The channel between the reeds/bulrushes is maybe 7 - 8 feet wide. There's room at the shore for one boat at a time to stage and launch. Launching with a row boat - stand up and paddle. Not enough width to row. Fins, electric motor - no issue. Wood boats: ouch. Fiberglass boats: ouch.

I'm wondering how many folks might be willing to help fund the purchase of some rock imported to the site? I met with Dry Falls State Park chief ranger this past week. He and I figured 10 or so yards of quarry spalls (4" crushed basalt) dumped at the shoreline and pushed as far out as the Park's backhoe can push the rock would solidify the launch. On top of the quarry spalls place several inches of 5/8" minus gravel (soften the spalls so to speak?).

Park Service doesn't have a dump truck available. Tommer Construction SW of Ephrata gave me a quote of $1,520.00 (includes WSST) to deliver 15 tons (10 yards, give or take) of each product. It's a two trip delivery as there's probably not enough room to turn a truck and pup trailer around.

The other missing component is widening the channel, say six or seven feet either side of the existing channel. This would be us: fly fisher volunteers.

Two questions:
1. How many of you who fish this lake are willing to donate to this, and
2. How many of us can help clear reeds?

I'm very much concerned about the lack of time between now and the opener. We have some severe cold coming in this week, the channel will be frozen solid.

Thoughts? Willingness? Forget it for now? Leave as is?

Pat Burdick

Old406Kid

Pat, how does one go about clearing the reeds in that muck and what agencies might get their dander up about it?

Bruce Baker

I saw some type of gizmo that was tossed out and dragged back to shore by a homeowner to remove reeds in at one of my local lakes.

I think it is a great idea and project, but I think a HPA might be required. Maybe check with WDFW the area habitat bio?....https://wdfw.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index.html?appid=48699252565749d1b7e16b3e34422271

Buzzy

I saw some type of gizmo that was tossed out and dragged back to shore by a homeowner to remove reeds in at one of my local lakes.

I think it is a great idea and project, but I think a HPA might be required. Maybe check with WDFW the area habitat bio?....https://wdfw.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index.html?appid=48699252565749d1b7e16b3e34422271
I think clearing out overgrown tules and bulrush is called maintenance - no HPA required (this according to the Park Ranger).

In 2014 a Seattle fly club (Washington Fly Fishing Club maybe) submitted plans to the Park, these plans included filling large rock bags to stabilize a path. The bags were to be placed with a crane. This project died on the vine.

Right now there's room for one boat at a time to launch. If someone decides to float their boat and take time stringing rods, wadering up...... no thanks.

thanks for those who've agreed to donate. I honestly don't know how to go about collecting donations and what protocol would be acceptable.

Skeena88

Any project that alters the bed, banks or flow of any water of the state needs an HPA from WDFW. I would be surprised if you could do what you propose without needing an HPA.You may also need a local clearing/grading permit depending on local jurisdiction regulations. May also need a Shoreline permit if the lake is > 20 acres. Placing fill, like quarry spalls, waterward of the OHWM of waters of the USA, including lakes and wetlands, requires an Army Corps permit and there are all sorts of hoops to jump through in that process.
Not trying to rain on your parade but I think you should do a lot more research to keep yourself out of trouble. The Park Ranger may not know permit regulations.

Buzzy

Any project that alters the bed, banks or flow of any water of the state needs an HPA from WDFW. I would be surprised if you could do what you propose without needing an HPA.You may also need a local clearing/grading permit depending on local jurisdiction regulations. May also need a Shoreline permit if the lake is > 20 acres. Placing fill, like quarry spalls, waterward of the OHWM of waters of the USA, including lakes and wetlands, requires an Army Corps permit and there are all sorts of hoops to jump through in that process.
Not trying to rain on your parade but I think you should do a lot more research to keep yourself out of trouble. The Park Ranger may not know permit regulations.
I guess "thanks" are in order; while not something I want to hear I do appreciate your response. Any other comments along this line out there? I just lost about all interest in doing anything towards improving this abysmal launch.

Freestone

WFF Supporter
Hmm, I wonder if a permit would be needed if every angler pulls a few reeds to launch their boat and accidentally spills their anchor/milk jug of gravel in the launch area, LOL. I am down to help in whatever way is needed. If the mud is deep, I might need to stand on Billy’s shoulders though!

Skeena88

I would still encourage you to talk to the local WDFW area habitat biologist, as Bruce recommended. He/she may be able to suggest stuff that could be done to meet your goals without triggering permits other than the HPA. The HPA is free and the time frame for a decision is 45 days once your application is complete. He/she may have suggestions about how to meet the SEPA requirements that go along with the HPA. Worth a shot. Your local WDFW office can put you in touch with the HPA biologist.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts