Snoqualmie Pass During Winter

jwg

Surprised about the mentions of tire socks.

I doubt they meet the legal requirements.

And these folks are not so enthused

I did not know I should carry chains w AWD. Thanks !

J

smc

J
Depends on the brand. Here’s the approved list for WA: https://www.wsp.wa.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Alternative-Traction-devices-April-1024x626.png

cdnred

So in the case of SOCKS, whenever or wherever there's a "category saying chains required on AWD and 4X4", these socks will be allowed as long as they fall within the approved list and you won't be subject to getting a traffic ticket..?

Checking out the vid for these socks, they don't appear to be the most user friendly for installation and driving. Personally I feel driving on all season tires would be better then relying on using these socks but that's just my 2 cents. I think the best solution if you're driving frquently in these conditions is to just shell out the money and get yourself a proper set of snow tires for all round ease of driving or worrying about pulling over to the side of the road to install either the socks or chains. Who would want to pull over in those frigid conditions to put on either socks or chains plus put your safety at risk from getting hit by other vehicles..

gt

does not look like putting 'socks' on tires is an easy chore. i'd stick with chains. head to Les Schwab, buy a set, put the recipe in the bag. if you don't use them you can get your money back.

Last edited:

PooterTooter

The traffic cameras that run along I-90 are a great tool for current conditions on the pass and surrounding areas.

This. Check the site, check the weather, make a good decision first. If it looks clear for your driving timeframe, you'll be ok. I drive an AWD and have crossed the pass when its really bad. Not ideal, especially for fishing, but it isn't an undriveable hells cape. That being said, a lot of things go wrong when the pass gets snow/ice dumped on the road. So just plan well and if things look good, you'll be fine.

Also, upper Yak has been fishing good. Slower, but good sized fish lately.

JACKspASS

Yes alot does go wrong when there is snow and ice onnthe pass, sometimes it doesn't take much at all.

I endured this scene before and hopefully won't have to again

download.jpeg-3.jpg

jwg

So in the case of SOCKS, whenever or wherever there's a "category saying chains required on AWD and 4X4", these socks will be allowed as long as they fall within the approved list and you won't be subject to getting a traffic ticket..?

Checking out the vid for these socks, they don't appear to be the most user friendly for installation and driving. Personally I feel driving on all season tires would be better then relying on using these socks but that's just my 2 cents. I think the best solution if you're driving frquently in these conditions is to just shell out the money and get yourself a proper set of snow tires for all round ease of driving or worrying about pulling over to the side of the road to install either the socks or chains. Who would want to pull over in those frigid conditions to put on either socks or chains plus put your safety at risk from getting hit by other vehicles..

Looks like the alpha trax put on the same way as my cable chains.

J

Greg Price

Love da little fishies

J
This may my help clear up the legality of sock style chains- spoiler alert they are legal in Washington stare. ttps://www.wsp.wa.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Alternative-Traction-devices-April-1024x626.png

I learned about them from the owner of a propane distributor buisiness. His guys use Sock style chains on his trucks to deliver propane to cabins near Alpental. If you have ever been there, the residential roads are steep/ treacherous.

Most AWD/4WD drivers will not need to chain up unless they hit a day when the most exream requirement of all vehicles having to chain up. I if you get caught without chains you risk receiving a $500 dollar fine.

I always carry chains in winter when crossing the pass. I had to chain up my FWD cars way too often, it was a pain and a bit daring with traffic whizzing by at freeway speeds on slick freeway. Not my idea of fun. Never chained up my 4wd or AWD vehicles. Got lucky that I never experienced the highest requirements of all vehicles must be chained up, 4wd included. That only happened when I was in my fwd car.

Last edited:
Reactions: jwg

Greg Price

Love da little fishies

J
Not sure of the cross trek, but early 2000 outback can only use socks due to a clearance issue with suspension/drive chain. Only real reason to have chains in car is to meet the requirement to carry chains or put them on when all vehicles are required to chain up

Jim Travers

You can rely heavily on chains! Just CHAIN UP. They fall off just buy another pair!! Good set of chains will get you down the road.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
Studded snow tires on all 4 wheels of a fwd car is like a tank. I practiced gunning it and slamming on the brakes in an empty totally iced over parking lot at Paradise. A little bit of sliding but start straight, stop straight, and quick.

Anadromous

WFF Supporter
Not sure of the cross trek, but early 2000 outback can only use socks due to a clearance issue with suspension/drive chain. Only real reason to have chains in car is to meet the requirement to carry chains or put them on when all vehicles are required to chain up
I went to buy chains for my 2012 Outback a few years back and was told I couldn't use chains. Had to buy the AutoSocks instead. This is true with some Subaru's, so do your research first.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
I went to buy chains for my 2012 Outback a few years back and was told I couldn't use chains. Had to buy the AutoSocks instead. This is true with some Subaru's, so do your research first.
I'm curious how accurate this is:

Anadromous

WFF Supporter
I'm curious how accurate this is:
It's odd because the owners manual says “Tire chains cannot be used on any tires for your Legacy and Outback because of lack of clearance between the tires and vehicle body.”

So I played it safe back then... However, this no longer applies to my car since I lifted it 2.5 inches and crammed BFG KO2's on my rig. The thing is a beast now. The clearance between the front of the tire in the rear and the wheel well is too tight for chains.

SUB.jpeg IMG-6683.JPG

longputt

Honestly of all the passes from W to E Snoqualmie is by far the best...don't even try the other passes, any time of the year.

If you do dare to come E bring extra tires, change of clothes, chains, bear-snake-tick spray...I personally wouldn't chance it. That's why I never go W!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts