A Filson Story

Krusty

Outta Here
Here’s our family Filson item, complete with squirrel blood stains. It was my falconer Father in law’s; now my wife wears it sometimes. It’s quality. From what I can tell, Filson has changed over the years.
Had one just like it from about 1965. Even had old bloodstains from a muledeer liver I stuffed in the back game pocket. Gave it away about 20 years ago due to its excessive "shrinkage". :)

Had other Filson gear of that era as well. Think the only Filson I've got left is my old tin hat.

Frankly I don't miss any of it. While it was durable I don't think it compares to the light weight, warmth, and comfort of modern synthetics and breathable shells.

MT_Flyfisher

In the early 1990’s, I bought a Filson chest tackle pack. The quality was amazing. After using it for several years, however, the elastic shoulder straps wore out so I called Filson’s customer service to ask about getting it repaired.

That was the most fantastic customer service I’ve ever experienced. The guy told me to send them the tackle pack for repair, and I could use what ever means of shipping that I wanted, even next day air. He explained that not only would they reimburse me my shipping cost but they would return the tackle pack by the identical shipping method that I used in sending the tackle pack to them - all at no charge.

I continued to use the repaired tackle pack for another 10 years or so and, although it was still in good shape, I bought another similarly designed Filson tackle tack. However, the newer one, while still nicely made, used a cheaper, lighter weight material. No complaints on my part, but I got the impression that Filson’s quality had slipped somewhat.

I’m sure I’d still be using both of these tackle packs still today, however, both of them were destroyed in a fire 3 years ago, along with much of my other fly fishing gear. I guess that’s one way to end the useful life of a Filson product. :(

landlocked

WFF Supporter
I have several inherited Filson coats/jackets from my grandfather in the the closet I dare not wear. I enjoy all of your Filson stories and thanks for sharing, but holy hell you guys are a bunch of old duffers!!!
:)
:)

jfilip85

I 100% agree with the comments from @dustinchromers but I do feel like the (small % of) products they still make in the US are damn good & worth the price. My travel bags, wallets, and wool articles in particular. Reading the fine print in their ads matters since they don't distinguish price wise - which seems sneaky.

Their marketing machine has gotten so out of control/off putting though. This is unfortunately on par with just about every other outdoor company these days.

Has anyone seen a Simms ad lately? Holy crap, are we fishing or going into battle? INTENSE!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the tangent. With a little research, heirloom pieces that I hope my grandkids will own someday are still very obtainable from Filson.

D3Smartie

This is my Filson Mackinaw. Was a gift to me in 1976. Purchased at Warshalls Sporting Goods in downtown Seattle. It's been my go to fishing jacket for 45 years. I throw a waterproof wading jacket over it and am off to the races. Have worn out lots of fancy high tech rain jackets but the Filson looks good to go for another 45 years.

View attachment 270967

My son wears a Filson. It was Grandpa's. Now that's quality.
I loved Warshalls... Used to stop in all the time when i was growing up and went to the city.

Dave Westburg

WFF Supporter
Bought my first fly rod at Warshalls. A 7 weight 7'6" Eagle Claw Trailmaster. Served me well on several years of boy scout hikes in the Cascades until I broke the tip loading it into the car.

I think I bought my first fly tying material at Warshalls as well.

Replicant

s6f4xYW.jpg

QBDcERY.jpg

The tin cloth, duck hunting coat was a gift from my dad back in the 80s (passed away last week). You may have noticed that it is for a left handed shooter. It was custom ordered and made in the Seattle facility and took about six months to arrive. The wool coat was a gift from my mom in the early 90s (passed away two years ago last month). I never really gave it much thought but I realize I have a lot of Filson gear. Hats, two belts, a shirt, upland hunting pants and an upland hunting vest, two bags and even a dopp kit. The recent marketing efforts are a bit cheesy. Geared towards the hipster, beard crowd, not unlike what happened to Abercrombie and Fitch back in the 90s. Once, a purveyor of high end and high quality sporting gear, now destroyed with no connection to it's past. I hope Filson doesn't go down the same path. Or is it too late?

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
s6f4xYW.jpg

QBDcERY.jpg

The tin cloth, duck hunting coat was a gift from my dad back in the 80s (passed away last week). You may have noticed that it is for a left handed shooter. It was custom ordered and made in the Seattle facility and took about six months to arrive. The wool coat was a gift from my mom in the early 90s (passed away two years ago last month). I never really gave it much thought but I realize I have a lot of Filson gear. Hats, two belts, a shirt, upland hunting pants and an upland hunting vest, two bags and even a dopp kit. The recent marketing efforts are a bit cheesy. Geared towards the hipster, beard crowd, not unlike what happened to Abercrombie and Fitch back in the 90s. Once, a purveyor of high end and high quality sporting gear, now destroyed with no connection to it's past. I hope Filson doesn't go down the same path. Or is it too late?
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts