Getting choosy with lines

CreekScrambler

I’ve been throwing around the idea of a new all-purpose floating line for my 9’ 5wt and doing up some line comparisons. I now understand why the grains in the first 30’ spec is not very useful, or is only useful for lines with about 30’ total head length. Most modern WF heads seem to be longer by 10-20’, with exceptions for shooting heads and traditional-style WF lines.

Isn’t line selection a matter of pairing the loading portion of the line to the rod and selecting a taper that will present the fly correctly? Why limit the practice to two-handed rods?

Maybe “#5 line” is the maximum character count that rod and line manufacturers have allotted to this topic.

CreekScrambler

Yeah the can’t-be-bothered factor is significant. I’ve been reading up on line design and enjoying the review/elimination of candidate lines. I have no desire to play guess-and-check in $50+ increments. At $15/line, I’d be all-in with everything under the sun.

It turns out that there are some “nymph” tapers that have bellies in between a typical WF and DT in length, similar forward tapers, and “correct” grains for the first 30’. These are catching my eye at the moment as they seem highly fishable compared to popular shorter overlined bellies. I’ve run into mending limits on my favorite medium-sized river despite achieving good turnover with a standard WF line.

Definitely going with a classic DT line for my 3wt before long. Two lines for the price of one!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts