North 40 - Omak

Buzzy

So, I got this message from my friend in Omak today.... Apparently North40 no longer selling fly stuff... Here was his text:

"I had very very sad news today. I went to North 40 to pick up some thread and..... the fly shop was gone. The sales guy I normally talk to said no more fly materials. [email protected] $&@-?. Uggggggg"

Just so you know in advance.'s
That's distressing to hear. It was a very nice shop with a super collection of gear - North40's guys put on a presentation about Omak Lake at our fly club, it was well done and very interesting. I'm sure the Tribe shutting down fishing on the reservation hurt them.

I'm sure closing the "local" rivers to steelhead angling didn't help either.

Last edited:

triploidjunkie

My favorite(only) fly shop! I was just in there a couple days ago getting fly tying stuff! Bummer!
I remember when it opened up. I was sooooo happy to have that near me, but doubted the area could really support it, even though it's smack dab in the best fly fishing region in the whole state.

Old406Kid

I wonder if the closing is location specific or if they plan on doing the same in other locations.
They're building a new store in Airway Heights and I was hoping it would include a fly fishing department.

Last edited:

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
That's a real loss. I don't get to a fly shop more than twice a year and now that has been cut in half. I wonder who will liquidate their stock..

My nearest fly shop is about 100 miles away and I haven't been there in about 10 years because of the traffic. So much for buying local.

Eastside

That's a real loss. I don't get to a fly shop more than twice a year and now that has been cut in half. I wonder who will liquidate their stock..

My nearest fly shop is about 100 miles away and I haven't been there in about 10 years because of the traffic. So much for buying local.
Since I live in the Tri Cities which doesn’t have a fly shop, my “local” shop is based on the river I frequent, which is the Deschutes. They know me and when I meet the minimum, shipping is free. Delivery has been consistently within 2-3 days. Select your favorite shop and make sure that you support them. During the COVID pandemic I had my wife’s blessing to send in an order each month. Definitely took advantage of that! I feel sorry for the other local shops that won’t survive...

girlfisher

Years ago friends had told me of a Fly Shop at North 40. I simply refused to believe them because they knew so little about what a real fly shop inventoried. More and more evidence from various sources arose and I had to see it for myself. "Amazing that you are here and with such a wide variety of quality items" is what I told the salesperson!! He told me they had folks coming from as far away as Oregon because fly tiers are a particular bunch and wanted specific colors and textures. He went on to assure me that there were here to stay. Over the years their inventory grow and so did their ideas to innovate and stay afloat. Yet another sad day for fly fishing.

I am reminded of my first day in a large, college, Business, class when the professor, after about 5 minutes of scratching his head proclaimed that, "All Business will eventually fail"!

JohnB

Well shit. There goes my fly shop. I guess that gives them more room for crappy clothes and more empty ammunition shelves.

triploidjunkie

I wonder if the closing is location specific or if they plan on doing the same in other locations.
They're building a new store in Airway Heights and I was hoping it would include a fly fishing department.
You nailed it, according to my sources. They needed the money for the Airway store. No warning, just came in and dismantled. I spent thousands at that fly shop over the years, and would have spent thousands more... And over the years I spent incidental extra money there only because of the fly shop. Guess I won't be shopping at North Forty anymore. I can get my pet food at more local places. Don't need to contribute to these corporate asshats.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts