Sage Excellent Service

DanielOcean

Accidently broke off a snake guide on my Echo Ion once. Probably could have pulled what I now call a "Price" and sent it in to get a new rod. Instead just peeled the thread wrap off, threaded a new snake guide on with my fly tying bobbin and 6/0 thread, finished off with some UV cure, and whala. Holding up perfectly too.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
You should fish it....and maybe treat your new section and rod a tad better perhaps? Rinse it after use? Mainly don’t drop it ....??
I do all of those things religiously, especially when I fish salt.

This is second time it cracked with no appearent abuse.

As a contrast, my old DSII rod has never cracked. And I have fished it a couple times a week in salt this season. It is from the mid 90s

and fist thing I did was to add the measurements marks that were missing. I keep hoping to catch the 22” plus keeper blackmouth off the beach, but has not happened. I have measuring dots on rod as I want to verify it when it happens. Probably will let it go, but fun to know I caught a keeper.

I use appliance paint and cover them with clear nail polish for longevity. Appliance paint has applicator similar to whiteout that you used to see any secretary’s drawer.

Last edited:

Porter

Nothing wrong with the DS series. I own two and fish my 490-4 DS2 a lot. They are not sexy looking, little heavy, dressed in lower end blah hardware, kinda a medium action maybe med-fast at best, there is absolutely no wow factor to this rod except it is used and always performs satisfactorily. Slap on the Ross Cimarron reel and she’s a dependable fly fishing combo!!!! I would never hestirate to fish with the DS series or recommend it as a good all-rounder rod for someone starting out. Plus it’s Brown, the Sage Brown!!!!

East Coaster

One thing to be aware of is how well the ferrules seat. I noticed that for my 6 wt, there is a tendency for the third section to be less firmly seated to the second (it loosens a little during the day). Casting with it not seated completely will put stress on the female ferrule and micro cracks can develop. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what caused this, and why you're only seeing it on one rod in particular - it may just be the tolerances for that rod, especially in this case the male ferrule (which you wouldn't have had replaced). I apply a little wax periodically, and it has helped avoid a problem. Just a thought......

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Premium
One thing to be aware of is how well the ferrules seat. I noticed that for my 6 wt, there is a tendency for the third section to be less firmly seated to the second (it loosens a little during the day). Casting with it not seated completely will put stress on the female ferrule and micro cracks can develop. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what caused this, and why you're only seeing it on one rod in particular - it may just be the tolerances for that rod, especially in this case the male ferrule (which you wouldn't have had replaced). I apply a little wax periodically, and it has helped avoid a problem. Just a thought......
Who needs avoidance when we have warranties?

Buzzy

Despite Walter White's "who needs" comment :rolleyes:, you're spot on with the application of a little wax on the male ferrule. I had a 596 SP with one section that needed wax to seat properly. Great advice!

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Nothing wrong with the DS series. I own two and fish my 490-4 DS2 a lot. They are not sexy looking, little heavy, dressed in lower end blah hardware, kinda a medium action maybe med-fast at best, there is absolutely no wow factor to this rod except it is used and always performs satisfactorily. Slap on the Ross Cimarron reel and she’s a dependable fly fishing combo!!!! I would never hestirate to fish with the DS series or recommend it as a good all-rounder rod for someone starting out. Plus it’s Brown, the Sage Brown!!!!
That was my first fly rod.

Still love it.

I have been usung it in the salt with the original clicker reel that came with it.

I cannot throw line as far due to its slower action, but can cast it all day without elbow or shoulder irritation.

It will go back into its original cloth cloth sock and aluminum tube till lake season this spring. I love the look of the classic sage aluminum storage tubes.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Thank
Thank you. That may very well be the problem. I put rod together in my warm office, then fish it in 35 to 45 degree weather. It was the female end that cracked on the 3rd ferrul. I found out about it when it came undone while casting.

thsnks again, your theory is very valid and I will make it a point to check tightness of all Ferrells periodically during the day.

Hopefully this will prevent further premature rod failure

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
I
I expect that gear used in sport may break to some point. Everyone in the family but for myself have broken skis. I blew up a redline cyclocross frame at the USGP in stillicum one year, headtube/downtube failure, and broke another set of high end forks the year before. I went through way more wheelsets than most people. It was how I raced (big motor, no bike handling skills). I broke a Sage and it was my fault, only rod so far. As the repair has lasted 30 years and it's still my favorite rod (GFL) I think it was worth it. Everyone's expectations and "value" threshold will vary based on experience and personal circumstance I think.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Who needs avoidance when we have warranties?
As much as I love the warranty people at Sage, it is much better to take care of rod so it is not sitting at factory waiting for repair.

I will try tightening ferrels periodically during day to avoid micro cracks that lead to rod failure

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts