Sliding body help

wetswinger

Need a suggestion on tying. Occasionally the body of my fly, including the beadhead, slide down the shank, stopping at the bend. This is on a stainless saltwater hook used for squimps, dahlia squid etc. Once there they are good and stuck. What can be done to insure your tie stays in place?

Zak

WFF Supporter
Need a suggestion on tying. Occasionally the body of my fly, including the beadhead, slide down the shank, stopping at the bend. This is on a stainless saltwater hook used for squimps, dahlia squid etc. Once there they are good and stuck. What can be done to insure your tie stays in place?
Do you lay a base of touching turns of thread down before tying in the materials?

Buzzy

Since you're using a bead head, consider using a few turns of lead free wire, also. After wrapping the wire, add a drop of superglue and then stuff the wire into the back of the bead. It ain't goin' nowhere after that.
Even with tightly wound thread wraps behind a bead head, I've had the bead and materials slide down the hook shank. Superglue cures that problem. Just one more step.

Squamishpoacher

I don't use touching turns as I think that turns with a small space in between wraps will grip the material better. Also I believe what helps is to keep the thread tight. Loose turns likely wont grip the shank as well as tensioned turns. As Buzzy said, a coat of superglue or even head cement will help and it can also make for a tougher body. Flies aren't indestructible and fishing conditions and hopefully fish teeth will cause them to get a bit roughed up and eventually fail. Like most who have fished for a long time, I've got boxes full of decrepit, beaten up flies that I have to take a razor blade to and retrieve the hook and/or bead.
Some day, I just may do that.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts