Long(er) dry fly rod

Rt17

I am looking for a longer dry fly rod for when I'm fishing out of my float tube primarily along silver creek. Thinking something in the 10 foot 3 weight range. I know not all euro-nymph rods are built for such a task, so are there any recommendations for a rod with adequate flex for throwing small dries or the occasional hopper? Thanks for any info.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Premium
Check out the Orvis Recon 10' 4 weight. They have a 10' 3 weight, but it's a euro nymph rod....I'm a patriot nympher, so I refuse to acknowledge it's existence. ;)

Frenchie

Syndicate 10' 3 weight would probably do pretty good. I have the 10' 2 weight and it is medium fast Rod with sensetive tip and the guides are still spaced like a regular rod.

Jon

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Premium
Check out the Orvis Recon 10' 4 weight. They have a 10' 3 weight, but it's a euro nymph rod....I'm a patriot nympher, so I refuse to acknowledge it's existence. ;)
I think you're looking for "freedom nympher"

in a sentence: I like to freedom-nymph for short-fin grayling.

but, agreed on that. Although, the 3wt also makes a really nice dry fly rod too.

longputt

I have been fishing an Echo Shadow II 10' for 3 wt and maybe I'm not a sophisticated caster but I think it throws a dry line/fly just fine.

I do think it is a little light for the windy days.

jaredoconnor

WFF Premium
Pretty much any euro rod will cast a dry fly well. The whole point of euro rods is that the tip is really sensitive and can self-load, which is great for delicate dry fly presentations. Where euro rods fall down is heavy nymph rigs and streamers, at distance.

That said, you might be better off with a 10ft 4wt or 5wt non-euro rod. The extra mass will help with wind and you can always tailor your leader to give more delicate presentations. I wouldn't use a euro rod, unless you're actually tight-lining some of the time.

Riffling Hitch

Look for an older Loomis Glx or Imx 10' 3 or 4 wt. They are 2pc but designed to cast not nymph. I have the 10' 4 wt and can cast a 4wt up to a 6wt with it. I mainly use it to swing soft hackles now but they are great casting rods.

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
Look for an older Loomis Glx or Imx 10' 3 or 4 wt. They are 2pc but designed to cast not nymph. I have the 10' 4 wt and can cast a 4wt up to a 6wt with it. I mainly use it to swing soft hackles now but they are great casting rods.

I had a Loomis 10' 4 and 5 weight IMX for float tubing. Worked great for dries and larger flies.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts