Versatile Euro-rods

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
I was following the long dry fly rod thread & figured I'd just start a new thread as my question is slightly different....yeah yeah, I could do a search, and have, but it's far more fun to here it from the true euro nerds. I'm curious as to those who have the Syndicate, what do you like about it (more along the euro side of things) that others might not provide? Personally, I can't do it all day as I find that extremely boring. That said, I often will implement the technique if I'm having a slow streamer day or just slow all around, get a few trout under the belt, then get back to how I was fishing. What I'm getting at is something that's perhaps a little more versatile. Ok euro nerds, whatcha got (in that same ~$300 price range) that you just can't live without & is the most versatile?

currently looking at the Syndicate & the Moonshine Epiphany & Echo Shadow II.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Thanks, that's really what I'm after. It's just an insanely effective technique (regardless of how bored I often get employing it for too long at once, nice to have in one's back pocket) & I have an older 10' 3wt that works fine for it, but is a little clunky for the euro side of things (it's almost more of a 5wt honestly). I'd like something that's a little lighter, yet still relatively versatile. I'll look into the Carbon XL.

Frenchie

I have had the echo shadow 2, 1st gen ESN, NRX nymph... the rods.that have stuck are syndicate and vision. I'm sure there are better rods around, especially for more money but sensitivity wise the 10' 2 weight syndicate p2 and.the 10' 3 weight vision nymphmaniac (its actually a 2 weight) have been phenomenal. If I had to choose just 1 I'd go.with the syndicate as it has a little more backbone and likely would be better at casting an actual fly line, can definately toss indicators. For straight euro, I prefer the vision. 10' 3 weight on smaller water, 11' 3 weight.on bigger water.

Jon

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
@jaredoconnor could probably compate these, as he has both Echo rods. Review state the shadow series is more sensitive. I don't think the XL is the most sensitive rod in the world, or I'm seeing more fish activity in the leader than I was aware of, I don't always feel it. I find the XL throws a cortland DT4 really well with any fly setup, dry or multiple. The XL is a fun rod, and I grab it frequently lately, but I haven't fished others.

mcswny

I really dig the Shadow II. it works for the tightlining well. I have a WF4 line on it with a 4" piece of maxima 20lb tied to a tippet ring, then my euro leader on after. This allows me to tie on a conventional leader and throw dries if need be and its a totally competent dry fly rod in when used that way as well.

greenriver

WFF Supporter
the 10' 3 weight Syndicate is very versatile. Can cast an indicator and nymph if you want to step
away from euro on a windy day. As said above the 2 weight and the Vision 10' 3 weight are more
sensitive but limited.

TheWookiee

Redington strike - I have echo shadow X as go to euro but keep the strike rigged with euro shorty on regular line setup for just as you describe = streamers to euro and back etc, as well as to teach friends the technique on.. works very well as such but obviously more jack of all master of less...

BC33

Cabelas CZN 11ft 4 wt......great rod. Sensitive, yet beefy, and really not that heavy. I fish everything from tiny perdigons to throwing meat.....and it's not bad on the pocket book....yea it's not a fancy name, but it is a solid rod. It's my go-to for bigger rivers.....I have a 10ft 3wt aetos for smaller water....sweet lil rod in it's own rite.....if I were in the market now I'd also consider the Echo Shadow but that's cuz I'm a big Echo fan

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Isn't the whole idea that they not be versatile, that way you have to buy a whole new setup for a different niche?

cheers

well yeah....kinda. For me, it sometimes goes back to not wanting to carry multiple rods all the time. I go back and forth on this far too much. Last time fishing the D, I took my streamer rod and an indi rod (also dry), yet the time before, it was just one rod (indi/dry). Next time, it'll probably be back to two.....too much ADD.

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
Isn't the whole idea that they not be versatile, that way you have to buy a whole new setup for a different niche?

cheers

Yes and no.

Euro rods have light tips that self-load. This is their most notable and important characteristic; it is essential for casting rigs that don't weigh very much and it is why tight-lining with a standard trout rod doesn't work.

Those light tips come at a cost, in terms of how much mass the rod can handle. Most euro rods have a 2wt or 3wt designation and can only cast lines in the range of 2wt to 4wt. Subsequently, there is a hard limit on how much meat you can throw at distance. 4wt euro rods do exist and they can extend your options into 5wt lines. However, you lose tip sensitivity and that often defeats the purpose. Thus, they're not very popular.

Hardcore euro rods are very stiff and only flex at the tip. This is desirable for tight-lining, because they recover quickly and don't bounce your rig all over the place. However, it comes at the cost of loading deep into the blank when casting a standard line. The more versatile euro rods will have slightly less tip sensitivity and load deeper into the rod, thus giving you a better experience with standard lines.

Personally, for all of my trout fishing, I have barely noticed the limitations of these rods. For typical trout streams, I think they add far more versatility than they take away. I am now regularly hitting water that I would have previously had to pass by, on the basis that it couldn't be fished with a conventional setup. For example, think of all the times that you didn't fish the other side of a pocket, because the fast water would rip the line away faster than you can mend it. You can hit those spots, with a tight-line technique, because there's no line on the water.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts