Are steelhead too popular...

Brandon

Floatin'
If you mean get chicks to leave you because you pursue a hard to get fish with more vigor than them maybe. I've literally trashed relationships over these things, these fish. I mean at the time I thought I was righteous and ladies were just unreasonable but I'm more well rounded now. I was just so in the depths of a constant chrome binge I couldn't see it. I lost some good ones......... Ladies and fish. Both beautiful, unique, individual in their markings and worthy of pursuit. I had not learned balance. I was young, dumb, and selfish. I'm still dumb and selfish at times but I'm recovering ever so slightly and getting older all the time. I mean not as old or as wise as @Salmo_g but older.

PS. Salmo you do not cross me as old. You're too able and have to much a sense of humor to be a crusty old guy. Some people never get crusty and old. You could be one that doesn't.
To all the head we’ve lost ;)

In all honestly finding balance is a big challenge. I’ve been lucky enough to find an amazing woman who puts up with my disappearing all weekend most of the time. As long as I don’t leave my smelly waders in the house.

dustinchromers

I don't know how anybody can post publicly on this forum about their interest in steelheading while maligning picture posters for encouraging the popularity of steelhead angling.

Nobody reads this drivel and thinks steelhead fishing is awesome. I've seen nothing here Mishler worthy of superlatives. If anything these are cautionary tales and lament for what once was. Besides nobody reads anyway anymore. It's all about instagram pics. Boot has some great video advice though.

CreekScrambler

I do scouting drives on my off Fridays since I can’t fish and I noticed a few folks fishing above the old Gov’t bridge recently. I would have called them in to wdfw but I don’t have any signal above Concrete. Bummer when I try to make plans to fish a well-rested run and I’ve been beaten to the punch by f&[email protected] types.

I also suspect I saw the blue Mustang of Sauk/Skagit car prowling fame on Saturday but I’m not sure. Does anybody have details on what to look for RE: blue Mustang?

Last edited:

wakingflies

I do scouting drives on my off Fridays since I can’t fish and I noticed a few folks fishing above the old Gov’t bridge recently. I would have called them in to wdfw but I don’t have any signal above Concrete. Bummer when I try to make plans to fish a well-rested run and I’ve been beaten to the punch buy f&[email protected] types.

I also suspect I saw the blue Mustang of Sauk/Skagit car prowling fame on Saturday but I’m not sure. Does anybody have details on what to look for RE: blue Mustang?
The color is called electric blue, it also has a black over the cab. If you see it again get the lic. plate number if you can safely. I'll take it from there.

CreekScrambler

The color is called electric blue, it also has a black over the cab. If you see it again get the lic. plate number if you can safely. I'll take it from there.
Thanks, I’ll keep an eye out. I think the blue I saw was a good bit darker than electric blue, but I’ll still send along whatever I find if I spot it again.

Brian St

Some things I have noticed lately. This four day opener is putting a shit load of people on the river. I'm totally fine with that but it is a bit shocking at times. Still plenty of water to fish. I have a gut feeling the old blue mustang has been re-painted burgundy. No mufflers loud as fuck dents all over it.

Regardless of the shorter season and restricted days it's still an awsome place to fish and enjoy a good camp fire with freinds.

Jojo

A sometimes eternal optimist
WFF Supporter
"Humans are great at loving something to death and destroying it in the process."

I have been a silent observer on this forum for quite some time.
I have zero social media imprint aside from email - until now.
I joined your forum.
My country used to welcome and host steelhead in significant numbers.
I am 40.
I have loved steelhead habitat and steelhead fishing since I was very little.
That is a while in my eyes.
I devoured any writing I could find on the species.
I taught myself how and when to be in their temporary presence.
I left Ontario specifically to chase and learn about them all over BC in my teens.
I got tired of trimming/construction jobs used to supplement my pursuits.
I quit.
I fished more instead of working further or textbook learning.
I went broke and then I went back home.
I tried my hand at living in the fast lane.
My pals were quite successful and it was easy enough to a lazy guy for a time.
I got in trouble.
I wasted seasons.
I missed the steelhead, rivers and the forest.
They all forgave me, missed me too, and welcomed my return.
I realized what I am and what I am not.
I grew up.
This is the power and majesty steelhead and their environment hold for some.
Diminished or not.
I don't want them to disappear.
They are not a trend.

Our steelhead here are not considered as true steelhead by the refined.
I love them anyway.
I tell them they are still steelhead.
They appreciate that I think.
They are also on they're way out.
Our rivers are as well.
This is not cool.
I am not cool either.
I am just a steelhead guy.
But one willing to contribute, and something must be done.

We are experiencing the same phenomenon here as described by some in this thread.
All these guys have gear worth more than my truck.
I never seem to see the same guys twice though.
Or they have multiple outfits.
Either way they are multiplying.
So is the garbage, line and gutted fish carcasses found in once out-of-the-way, sacred places.

Reading this thread was the final straw prompting me to join.
That is meant as a complement to you all.
There are an incredible number of people who seem to genuinely care about steelhead, not just steelhead fishing, here.
There is a vast amount of experience and knowledge present from what I have read.
There are also many viewpoints expressed on matters personally important to me.
This is not common in my experience on the internet.
These matters are not geographically specific in my mind.
I don't personally know many Americans, haven't met many.
Now I want to.
The witty/intelligent/insightful comments here have reshaped my limited perception.
This is for sure a positive for me.
If anywhere I've come across observing on the web, this may be the place that actually spawns meaningful change.
Some of you already have played significant roles in your home states as I read it.
I want to be part of it if possible, even as an observer.
Thanks for that.
And also some of you are straight hilarious.
All the best from the Great Lakes.
I just read your other thread @S.O.S.Canada and i have to say i really like your writing style! Welcome.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts