Spey rod flex vs single hand

Mark Kadoshima

I'm experimenting with making double hand bamboo rods. My first attempt at a 10' 6 wt....well, I'm still trying to figure out what line it wants..or it's a dud. I then made an 11' 3wt that casts extremely well. Basically, I'm just stretching existing tapers (8 wt single hand for the 6 wt) and (5 wt stretched for the 3wt). Unfortunately I believe I was simply lucky to get the trout spey to work well.
Well....I'd like to make a 2-3 wt 10' 6" spey rod that can handle a 210 grain scandi line. I'm not very knowledgeable about the 'lingo' although I enjoy casting doublehanders.
Where should I make the rod less flexible and where more compared to a single hand rod? I'm sort of thinking the top third needs to be stiffer to lift the line and the butt section more flexible to help with the speed.
Your help is appreciated....
Mark

Big Tuna

Mark,
I believe what you’re describing is what’s known as a regressive taper which I think is used in Meiser’s MKS line of graphite rods which are built with tips in mind.

Jon

Mark Kadoshima

Mark,
I believe what you’re describing is what’s known as a regressive taper which I think is used in Meiser’s MKS line of graphite rods which are built with tips in mind.

Jon
Thanks for info. I've seen slo motion and stop motion videos of spey casts, and the impression I get is a lot of flex in the bottom half of the rod compared to the top half, which seems to be the opposite of most single handers.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Mike MKS got the idea from Sage single hand rods that had that regressive feel and liked it. A stiff tip to lift the sink tip from the depths and softer in the bottom 3rd to feel the rod load. I don't remember what model it was RPL maybe.

My 12' Riverwatch is touted as being fast(for boo) but I can't tell as it flexes to the butt but launches darts and makes me giggle every time I fish it!

You should talk to Bob Clay or James Reid or Mark Samberg as they all make outstanding bamboo two handers.

Mark Kadoshima

Mike MKS got the idea from Sage single hand rods that had that regressive feel and liked it. A stiff tip to lift the sink tip from the depths and softer in the bottom 3rd to feel the rod load. I don't remember what model it was RPL maybe.

My 12' Riverwatch is touted as being fast(for boo) but I can't tell as it flexes to the butt but launches darts and makes me giggle every time I fish it!

You should talk to Bob Clay or James Reid or Mark Samberg as they all make outstanding bamboo two handers.
Bob Clay has been very helpful but he has worked very hard to develop his own tapers, and I don't want to crowd that knowledge. He helped me a lot with my scarf 'ferrules'. I don't mind experimenting (even have fun doing so) but would like to at least have a somewhat informative start. Already have one 'wallhanger'...a failed 8' 3 wt 4 piece packrod idea.
Does your Riverwatch have scarf ferrules or composite ones?

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Bob Clay has been very helpful but he has worked very hard to develop his own tapers, and I don't want to crowd that knowledge. He helped me a lot with my scarf 'ferrules'. I don't mind experimenting (even have fun doing so) but would like to at least have a somewhat informative start. Already have one 'wallhanger'...a failed 8' 3 wt 4 piece packrod idea.
Does your Riverwatch have scarf ferrules or composite ones?

It is a scarf joint, we could met up some time and you could cast it if you like.

Mark Kadoshima

I believe most bamboo rods are, due to the material, heavier than graphite rods....at least my bamboo rods are (even with aggressive hollowing). I've found that even though a long bamboo rod is significantly heavier than a graphite rod, by using two hands, the weight becomes a non-issue for me. I also simply enjoy casting a doublehander.
I have to admit....I enjoy the challenge of designing and building a rod that functions as expected.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
GT is correct, any rod can do spey casts, last time I was on Rock Creek MT I was doing spey casts with my 9' 5wt with a dry fly. The principals are the same, one can even add a haul into it!

tackleman

Although not known for making 2-hand rods Glenn Brackett would be worth contacting. He knows Bob Clay well and has made several 2-hand rods for clients. You’ll love connecting with him!

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
A Sage 11'-3" 6wt RPL was what I used to convert to 12' two handers.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts