Bluegill

SquatchinSince86

Those are obscene! Wonder what age a BG needs to get to be that big...hmmm.

Care to share some fly patterns or techniques? I've got a couple lakes penciled in that is supposed to have a quality BG pop.

Gila trout

Care to share some fly patterns or techniques? I've got a couple lakes penciled in that is supposed to have a quality BG pop.
Hello, I have the most success indicator fishing. The largest bluegill (like the ones above) in my favorite lake are usually caught between 10 and 14’ deep. I use a straight piece of either 12 lb. maxima or Trilene any where from 10 to 13’. Thread on a little black rubber bobber stop and then a thingmabobber below the bobber stop. Then attach a small swivel and tie on some tippet. Then just like bobber fishing for trout play with depth until some fish are located. Some times a full sink type 4 or heavier can get some nice fish stripping off dropoffs or the face of the dam. My most productive flies are size 14 and 16 black and olive leeches, buggers, zebra and tiger midges and the birds nest nymph. Really most lake trout flies work well. The indicator rig actually casts reasonability well on a fast action 9’ 4 or 5 wt. I tie most of my flies for this with tungsten beads so they sink deep. Also a small split shot attached right above the swivel helps get the files down. I have also used the above methods in lake Havasu in Arizona and caught some of the trophy red ears they have in that lake.

Gila trout

Hello, I have the most success indicator fishing. The largest bluegill (like the ones above) in my favorite lake are usually caught between 10 and 14’ deep. I use a straight piece of either 12 lb. maxima or Trilene any where from 10 to 13’. Thread on a little black rubber bobber stop and then a thingmabobber below the bobber stop. Then attach a small swivel and tie on some tippet. Then just like bobber fishing for trout play with depth until some fish are located. Some times a full sink type 4 or heavier can get some nice fish stripping off dropoffs or the face of the dam. My most productive flies are size 14 and 16 black and olive leeches, buggers, zebra and tiger midges and the birds nest nymph. Really most lake trout flies work well. The indicator rig actually casts reasonability well on a fast action 9’ 4 or 5 wt. I tie most of my flies for this with tungsten beads so they sink deep. Also a small split shot attached right above the swivel helps get the files down. I have also used the above methods in lake Havasu in Arizona and caught some of the trophy red ears they have in that lake.
Here are few more pics I found. The red ear is from Havasu not huge but it was a nice one DB3C863D-304A-4B0B-902C-D13A9F307392.jpeg 3A176C40-233D-4C48-91DB-6B16FA9CD290.jpeg 3E11015C-D75D-4888-B6D7-4535131440BC.jpeg BC8A8C03-841B-4963-BA48-0CBED62511A5.jpeg CF5CFA27-3B9F-4513-B6A4-EDF55AF89551.jpeg

sroffe

I had fun one year tossing micro poppers over them. Probably was harassing their spawning beds, but, they sure were eager to smash that popper.

Last edited:

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter

I love panfish! Always bring a 2 or 4wt glass rod when I go bass fishing, in case I find some gills.
On our local lakes, I've found they like olive willies and microleeches. If they're up shallow, try a small boobie fished on top like a struggling minnow

ianpadron

Any fly angler who has not experienced a pissed off bull bluegill on ultralight fly gear has not lived haha.

I grew up catching panfish on poppers in Northern Wisconsin, it is indeed a hoot and a half.

Nice fish!

gt

for years and years, on opening day of trout season in OR, i went bluegill fishing. the sloughs of the Willamette river are very productive. if you have a capable boat, give them a try.

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
On a long spring evening back in the '80's a friend and I caught 229 blugills on small poppers with rubber legs. The lake was Silver Lake near Castle Rock. What a gas-one of the more enjoyable fishing trips I have ever made. I caught 104 and he caught the rest.

Ounce for ounce I know of nothing that can outfight them. If they reached 5# we would need a 7wt!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts