Bluegill

triploidjunkie

Here are few more pics I found. The red ear is from Havasu not huge but it was a nice one View attachment 272479 View attachment 272480 View attachment 272481 View attachment 272482 View attachment 272483
I used to love fly fishing Havasu. Would catch some big bluegill and sunfish, when I wanted to. But I was hung up on stripers, for the most part. Great striper fishing! I would occasionally get a big largemouth, and once while stripping a baitfish pattern at night, I landed a 8lb catfish!

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
nice report. those are some tank bluegills! I've never found anything close to that around here (likely shorter growing season), but as a kid during a couple of summer vacations on Lake Powell, we'd get into some monsters similar to those...wish I fly fished then.

Jiminsandiego

I am a seafood snob. I am extremely picky when it comes to freshwater fish (and salt water fish for that matter). But, as a youngster, I ate quite a few (tiny) blue gill filets, battered and fried in oil. They tasted far better then the bass, catfish, Northern Pike and trout. Blue gill are so pretty, and they fight like hell..and... those photos made me hungry.

Kilchis

WFF Supporter
Those are some handsome fish! I think every bluegill, pumpkinseed or other sunfish I've caught could be hidden under a silver dollar.

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
nice report. those are some tank bluegills! I've never found anything close to that around here (likely shorter growing season), but as a kid during a couple of summer vacations on Lake Powell, we'd get into some monsters similar to those...wish I fly fished then.
Aren't you in OR? I dug up a pic from a 2014 post of a gill I caught at Brasada Ranch near Bend. For scale, my boot is just shy of 12". They can grow big there!
big gill (1).JPG

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Aren't you in OR? I dug up a pic from a 2014 post of a gill I caught at Brasada Ranch near Bend. For scale, my boot is just shy of 12". They can grow big there!
View attachment 273592
Damn, I must be fishing in the wrong places for them out here and I'm even in the valley. That is an absolute slab of a 'gill! Honestly though, I really haven't put the time in here....too many other species to pique my interest.

On a couple of occasions, my family (I was in my teens) did the whole houseboat thing on Lake Powell. They spent their time water skiing and such while I just fished the whole time and caught various lizards and snakes around the rocks. One of the spots I fished, I caught probably a half dozen dinner plate sized bluegills....I've never seen them that size before or since. They pulled harder than the channel cat and carp I also caught on that trip.

Josh

dead in the water
WFF Moderator
I've only ever caught smaller ones in western WA. That said, I've also not spent a ton of time hunting for them. I really should, they are awesome. Stonefish isn't wrong.
Like mini freshwater permit.
Caught a couple SLABS bluegill in florida though.

Perhaps I'll get the kids out for some this spring.

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
They really are fun.
Not a great pic, but this one came up thru the lilypads to hammer a little popper on an unlikely little pond in Snoho County last July. That decal is maybe 9 in wide?
I was looking for bass, but they were porpoising for adult dragons, and didn't like the ones I had with me.

20200720_132832.jpg

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
They really are fun.
Not a great pic, but this one came up thru the lilypads to hammer a little popper on an unlikely little pond in Snoho County last July. That decal is maybe 9 in wide?
I was looking for bass, but they were porpoising for adult dragons, and didn't like the ones I had with me.

View attachment 273613
Had bluegill in our pond on the Farm in Kansas. Lotta fun, only gripe I have with them is their penchant for swallowing the hook.

cheers

Olive bugger

On a long spring evening back in the '80's a friend and I caught 229 blugills on small poppers with rubber legs. The lake was Silver Lake near Castle Rock. What a gas-one of the more enjoyable fishing trips I have ever made. I caught 104 and he caught the rest.

Ounce for ounce I know of nothing that can outfight them. If they reached 5# we would need a 7wt!
I agree that they are the scrappiest for their weight class. Catching them on light gear is a fun fest for sure.

Jiminsandiego

Crappie IMHO are like the Bluegill's sexy older sister. They can get to be "trophy" size, fight just as hard, taste better and seem to have a higher place in many "angler's" minds. Beaver Lake (Skagit County) holds some good ones. Fishing with flies for trout there was a bust for me, but the Crappie definitely liked my green micro leeches. They also have a tendency to "school up" in small areas, so you can catch a lot of them..once you find one. Pan fish are often overlooked by fisherman to pursue more desirable species. But, if you are looking to entertain a child, catch a bunch of fish, or want to eat some killer fish tacos, those little fish can "produce".

Jiminsandiego

Carefully filleted, the right batter, the right oil, and the right tortilla. Some chopped cabbage and Mexican white sauce with tobascco .........Dang that's tasty!!!! You could call it "Panfish tacos" and I guarantee they will be eaten fast. Ironically, "fish tacos" has had a devastating effect on the fish in California. A 12" Kelp Bass was historically looked at as "not worth the trouble". But when people realized that that fish could make 4 tacos, the laws had to be changed.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts