Texas pigs

ribka

Down south of Amarillo. I picked up a super hogster thermal scope before trip to hunt at night. Bit of a learning curve was judging distance in the scope because it was pitch black. Should have put up markers in the field and pasture before dark. It was fun. I took down a tri pod but ended up using shooting sticks. just more portable and I was moving quite a bit.

rdgcbOY.jpg

A mixture of mule and deer and whitetails would filter out in the field before dark. Two whitetail bucks were over 140 5x5's and pretty nice, and some smaller 4x4 mules and lots of does

O00T48o.jpg

hkJMyxr.jpg

I like this part of Texas due to the red earth and sunsets

PJJewXD.jpg

5fICFve.jpg

g13AYGl.jpg

rPPfdX5.jpg

Last edited:

ribka

Just hunted 2 nights and did some sight seeing in the area. Really interesting history there. Great museum, I mean really great museum in Plains TX

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Looks like a fun trip, Tom. I spent some time in Amarillo on business a number of years ago, but no hog hunting. I did get to see Palo Duro Canyon however. Interesting country with lots of history (and the occasional tornado.).

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Those look like pretty good sized pigs, I have read that the bigger wild pigs don't eat that well. What is your take on that as you said they where great eating?

ribka

Those look like pretty good sized pigs, I have read that the bigger wild pigs don't eat that well. What is your take on that as you said they where great eating?

Ive hunted hogs in the US, Europe, central asia and Russia and the lager wild pigs eat great with proper field care just like other game

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Are those hogs native to Texas? Or exotics? They don't look like the native javelina that I've seen in Arizona. Supposedly javelina are good table fare, but they are smaller than the ones in your photos look like.

longputt

bigger wild pigs don't eat that well
I was on a hunt in Ukraine and a one in our group took a 225kg (495lb) pig and it tasted great. A friend owned a pig farm in PA and they fed them anything, even truck loads of rejected Hershey's chocolate, and they tasted the same. I think butchering is pretty important but unlike some animals I don't think it matters what they eat.

Replicant

Down south of Amarillo. I picked up a super hogster thermal scope before trip to hunt at night. Bit of a learning curve was judging distance in the scope because it was pitch black. Should have put up markers in the field and pasture before dark. It was fun. I took down a tri pod but ended up using shooting sticks. just more portable and I was moving quite a bit.
Beautiful pictures - Couple of questions for ya - What's your twist rate? Who makes those shooting sticks? I have a nice Harris bi-pod, but it limits me to prone only.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts