Regal vise talk and opinion

LyNcH

Steelhead Junkie
So I will start off by saying that I have too many vises and could say they, like the rest of my fly fishing and tying gear, are a vice....but a healthy one.

My current stable include a Griffin Montana Mongoose, a standard regal Medallion, a stainless Regal Medallion, a Renzetti travel and a few other cheapos.

With this, I find I really only use two of them on a regular basis and the others collect dust....although I do have the standard Medallion in a drawer at work for when I have the time during my lunch hour. The two I use consistently are the Montana Mongoose (my favorite) and the stainless Medallion.

So I have been eyeballing the Regal Revolution for years and am on the fence as to whether I should sell off a few vises and invest in it.

My question is, do you have the Revolution, and do you or did you have the Medallion and was it worth the hefty upgrade price? I do use my rotating vises like most, to turn my flies while tying, but I don't rotate them (nor-vise style) to apply thread or dubbing, rather I do it the traditional way. As I type this, I am pretty sure I already know my answer that it is not necessary, but am looking for feedback from the group.

tippet

hardcore flyfishing addict
I have 3 Regal Stainless Medallions (1 in Washington, one in my condo in Utah, and one I use as a travel vise on trips or to tie with buddies) and love them. If I ever feel the need to do "true rotary" to rib flies,etc, I will probably buy a Renzetti. However I feel that I rib things just fine with my Regals and haven't bought a "true rotary." What do you think of your Renzetti Traveler, comparing it to the Mongoose?

Jake

veni, vidi, fishi
We’ve got both a Medallion and a Rotarat our fly tying desk, and when it comes time to put on hackle, chenille, UVresin, or something else that benefits from turning the vise, it’s a big timesaver.

I don’t know that I’d buy one if I already had a full stable of vises as I don’t think it confers a $200 advantage, but that’s just me.

LyNcH

Steelhead Junkie
I have 3 Regal Stainless Medallions (1 in Washington, one in my condo in Utah, and one I use as a travel vise on trips or to tie with buddies) and love them. If I ever feel the need to do "true rotary" to rib flies,etc, I will probably buy a Renzetti. However I feel that I rib things just fine with my Regals and haven't bought a "true rotary." What do you think of your Renzetti Traveler, comparing it to the Mongoose?
I am not a big fan of the Renzetti to be honest. The only reason I keep it around is because I have the tube fly head for it. In my opinion, there is no comparison between it and the Mongoose....Mongoose takes the cake hands down.

redband02

I started with Regal back in about 1980ish when the finish was a black and gold composite color. I have been through many a traditional Regal vise over the years and was very happy when they came out with the Medallion series. I have bought and given away about 13 Regal vises to friends, relatives and even a couple to Warriors and Quiet Waters here in Bozeman. Right now I have 2 Medallions (one on the desk and one for travel) and a couple of old traditionals (for teaching with). I have owned Renzetti , Thompson and Griffin Montana and other vises and still like the Regals the best. Note however, with increasing arthritis in the hands I am considering a cam lever vise that still rotates, but not rotary (ie: HMH standard, Wolf Industries Apex, Stonefo Fly Lab Lever). Like I say, watch your wallet!

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
I started with Regal back in about 1980ish when the finish was a black and gold composite color. I have been through many a traditional Regal vise over the years and was very happy when they came out with the Medallion series. I have bought and given away about 13 Regal vises to friends, relatives and even a couple to Warriors and Quiet Waters here in Bozeman. Right now I have 2 Medallions (one on the desk and one for travel) and a couple of old traditionals (for teaching with). I have owned Renzetti , Thompson and Griffin Montana and other vises and still like the Regals the best. Note however, with increasing arthritis in the hands I am considering a cam lever vise that still rotates, but not rotary (ie: HMH standard, Wolf Industries Apex, Stonefo Fly Lab Lever). Like I say, watch your wallet!
Take a long look at the HMH. I recently (within the last couple of years) went through a "should I get another vise" phase....fortunately, I didn't pull the trigger and my HMH with the Magnum jaws work really damn well for everything I need to do with flies from 16+ (I never tie smaller than that, but I'd guess the Magnums would be good down to 18 or 20, but that would be pushing it with those jaws).

Darby

Take a long look at the HMH. I recently (within the last couple of years) went through a "should I get another vise" phase....fortunately, I didn't pull the trigger and my HMH with the Magnum jaws work really damn well for everything I need to do with flies from 16+ (I never tie smaller than that, but I'd guess the Magnums would be good down to 18 or 20, but that would be pushing it with those jaws).
Hands down the HMH with a C-Clamp is tops. I only wish they'd offer their magnum jaw with a slot milled in it so it would better hold large hooks when packing deer hair. I don't think they'll ever do it, though. Their TRV vise jaws have them and I'm sure they'd rather sell a new vise then jaws.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Hands down the HMH with a C-Clamp is tops. I only wish they'd offer their magnum jaw with a slot milled in it so it would better hold large hooks when packing deer hair. I don't think they'll ever do it, though. Their TRV vise jaws have them and I'm sure they'd rather sell a new vise then jaws.
totally agree on that.

Kirk Singleton

Capt Kirk
I tied on the regal for over 15 years and it was good to me. My jaws started chipping and now I don’t trust it, unless I wear safety glasses ;-).
I also have a renzetti traveler (currently mounted on the medallion bronze base) and a nor-vise. Last year I picked up the Renzetti master with the heavy saltwater base and it is fantastic! 9 don’t see myself buying anything else for a long time.

redband02

Hey Clarkman: I took your advice and sprang for an HMH spartan. Nice vice and easy to use for these old arthritic hands. Still enjoy my Regal when I can use it. Thanks for the advice
Tom

Jack Devlin

So I will start off by saying that I have too many vises and could say they, like the rest of my fly fishing and tying gear, are a vice....but a healthy one.

My current stable include a Griffin Montana Mongoose, a standard regal Medallion, a stainless Regal Medallion, a Renzetti travel and a few other cheapos.

With this, I find I really only use two of them on a regular basis and the others collect dust....although I do have the standard Medallion in a drawer at work for when I have the time during my lunch hour. The two I use consistently are the Montana Mongoose (my favorite) and the stainless Medallion.

So I have been eyeballing the Regal Revolution for years and am on the fence as to whether I should sell off a few vises and invest in it.

My question is, do you have the Revolution, and do you or did you have the Medallion and was it worth the hefty upgrade price? I do use my rotating vises like most, to turn my flies while tying, but I don't rotate them (nor-vise style) to apply thread or dubbing, rather I do it the traditional way. As I type this, I am pretty sure I already know my answer that it is not necessary, but am looking for feedback from the group.

Last edited:

bhudda

heffe'
Just pulled the trigger on a regal travel with big game jaws... I’ve been looking for awhile and today was the day :) peak rotary was an option but a regal is an old tank!

snarlac

Never had an issue with standard Regal...no jaw chips yet, which I understood was user error in clamping hooks too close to the jaw tip, which I don't do...for tiny hooks I now have a midge head...will see how that works out over time.

Jack Devlin

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts