Watercraft Inspection

Wayne Kohan

fish-ician
For the past several months, there has been a watercraft inspection station on 395 north of Pasco. It is between me and the seeps, so I have stopped several times. It is quick and easy and the workers are very polite. However, I would rather not stop if I don't have to, of course. I have debated taking alternate routes. They always ask where you were last and where you are going. I did ask about other watercraft like pontoons and float tubes, and was told that you are supposed to stop. I don't think I would with float tube under my cover in the back of the truck. I would wonder how successful these stops are in their stated purpose, seems like a high cost for a low yield. If it just to raise awareness in the boaters, then maybe fewer inspections in different places might catch more boaters. And if they really feel the need to check my float tube, shouldn't they check my waders and wading boots too?

longputt

I would wonder how successful these stops are in their stated purpose, seems like a high cost for a low yield.
I wonder the same...I normally take a trip to N CA and S OR every year and my path home to WA does not pass a check station, yet there is a station locally that I must stop for going from one section of the Columbia River to another.

The link that Stonefish provided is very interesting and I've seen clams and crabs on my anchor rope that collect in less than a week of fishing in the salt. I really wonder if these quick checks make any difference?

The problem is real but real education is critical I think money would be better spent educating boat owners what to look for. Maybe advertising telling us what to look for, when I get checked I feel like it is a gotcha game rather than education. The state cannot look in every nook and cranny.

I fished a few foreign countries (pre Covid) and they take waders and wading shoes very seriously and you must sign that your gear has been cleaned and dried.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts