derogatory fly names...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BC33

That's not quite an accurate description of my opinion. I strongly dislike the use of terms that are derogatory (Dirty Hoh) or objectifying (T & A Bunker.) They reflect poorly on people who use those names, and make many women uncomfortable.
The original article suggested that sexualized fly names support a culture of male sexual violence. That's pretty hyperbolic, but if I had to guess, I'd say the author has women in his life who have been traumatized by sexual violence, and who may react more strongly and negatively to terms like Sex Dungeon. While I personally do not, they are not, unfortunately, an insignificant percentage of women.
Nor are the VERY few women who post here representative of women in general. I could put together a list of 1000 local women who are interested in fly fishing (based on the # from a local women's FF Facebook group) but there are maybe a half dozen who post on WFF. My personal interactions tell me that there are many women who would love to fly fish, but no way in hell are they going to deal with the good ol boys network to get there. Walking into a flyshop to see 8 guys and a bin full of Galloup-named flies is off-putting, period. For most of them, the feeling of not
When I was a noob I had a few interactions in fly shops that were not great. I can imagine what it could potentially be like for noob females.

All I can say is, seek out the humble jonesers....those are the fly fishers who are dialed, and will gladly share info. It's about the pursuit...solving the puzzle....nothing else.

The greatest part of our sport is we constantly learn. I've been at it for years, and I'm a joneser. I learn something every time I'm on the water....and I always take the opp to learn from others.....could be male, female, or other, I don't care....

longputt

I just have to add that I've only heard of a couple of the flies mentioned. Other than the boobie (never made the reference), the sex dungeon, and the zoo cougar (still trying to sort out the dirty on that one). I've not heard of a single one. Lots of those names mentioned I didn't even know were flies.
Same for me...I was going to Google the names and I realized I was on a work computer and I better stop,

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
Couple observations:

Chromers runs laps around most of us here. It is fun to watch.

I also notice that some of our most self righteous members don't engage him in the debate. Probably not a bad idea. As a good friend once told me, the baitfish know better than to attack the shark.

Finally, I love to share photos and share stoke of what I consider an awesome fucking life. Some like to participate in moral grandstanding. Whatever, it all makes for a good way to pass the time.

Yeah, great thread.
YJGdaszC_o.gif

image_72192707_(1).JPG

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Couple observations:

Chromers runs laps around most of us here. It is fun to watch.

I also notice that some of our most self righteous members don't engage him in the debate. Probably not a bad idea. As a good friend once told me, the baitfish know better than to attack the shark.

Finally, I love to share photos and share stoke of what I consider an awesome fucking life. Some like to participate in moral grandstanding. Whatever, it all makes for a good way to pass the time.

Yeah, great thread.
YJGdaszC_o.gif

image_72192707_(1).JPG

Either chromers is your online alter ego or he has some incriminating photos he’s blackmailing you with. There is simply to much bro love for him sprinkled into your post history for it to be organic.

@dustinchromers please stop. You have a photo of him wearing cargo shorts with a pit stained t-shirt don’t you, you SOB.

#freeswimmy
#dustinchromersisabigbully

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
Either chromers is your online alter ego or he has some incriminating photos he’s blackmailing you with. There is simply to much bro love for him sprinkled into your post history for it to be organic.

@dustinchromers please stop. You have a photo of him wearing cargo shorts with a pit stained t-shirt don’t you, you SOB.

#freeswimmy

There is probably room for you in the club.

qIDzv0ig_o.gif

#wffallstars
#brolove

dustinchromers

#freeswimmy

I have no dirt on anyone. If you see me as a bully I'd like to know why? I feel I'm always careful to challenge an idea rather than a person's character or call anyone names and yes, try to use humor as a medium. I've got my ideas and I'll defend them with logic and debate without slander. If that's a bully in your eyes we have two definitions. I grew up around actual bullies. Their tactics were quite different I can assure you. Your tag is insulting to me because I've always hated bullies to the core.

Chris Johnson

Empathy is tough. Self awareness is tough. Humility can be tough.
If you've been trained your whole life that being the alpha is the goal, these things are unattainable.
As an uber sex positive person I don't generally care for censoring sexual based speech due solely to it being sexual. However, when you look at the majority of fly anglers you can see how unrepresented women are in fly fishing culture. It is always important to humbly look at how the big picture appears from the other side of the window.
If trying to be self aware as to how you are being percieved and what you are communicating is too hard for you then you're failing at being kind. We all do it. I have done it. It's not something to defend though. Humility should take hold at some point.
Also Northern's first post was pretty spot on IMO. Sexuality is great. Misogyny is not.

Go Sox.
cds
This reminded me of a quote I heard a few years ago, not sure who said it: "When you are used to privilege, equality feels like oppression"

jasmillo

WFF Supporter

I have no dirt on anyone. If you see me as a bully I'd like to know why? I feel I'm always careful to challenge an idea rather than a person's character or call anyone names and yes, try to use humor as a medium. I've got my ideas and I'll defend them with logic and debate without slander. If that's a bully in your eyes we have two definitions. I grew up around actual bullies. Their tactics were quite different I can assure you. Your tag is insulting to me because I've always hated bullies to the core.

#diddustinchromerslosthissenseofhumor?......

East Coaster

Let's cut to the chase and wrap this thread up.....calling @Jim Travers

Well @Jim Travers hasn’t weighed in (yet?) with a closer, but this is how I imagine he might do it:

GET WITH IT, PEOPLE!!! Bottom line is you have to EXERT YOUR AUTHORITY over the fish!!!! It’s not about man & woman stuff – it’s LETTING THE FISH KNOW ITS PLACE!!!! I give my flies names like “YOU’LL BE ON MY WALL SOON”, “GET IN MY BELLY”, “ONLY YOUR ADIPOSE CAN SAVE YOU”. There can be no question who’s at the TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN!!!!

Or something like that.......;)

Jojo

A sometimes eternal optimist
WFF Supporter
Well @Jim Travers hasn’t weighed in (yet?) with a closer, but this is how I imagine he might do it:

GET WITH IT, PEOPLE!!! Bottom line is you have to EXERT YOUR AUTHORITY over the fish!!!! It’s not about man & woman stuff – it’s LETTING THE FISH KNOW ITS PLACE!!!! I give my flies names like “YOU’LL BE ON MY WALL SOON”, “GET IN MY BELLY”, “ONLY YOUR ADIPOSE CAN SAVE YOU”. There can be no question who’s at the TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN!!!!

Or something like that.......;)
This is a great impression of Travers! Hahaha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info