derogatory fly names...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
I haven't read the thread and my input is probably meaningless at this point, but I always found fly names like this cringe as f*ck.

I'm from a country where we drop C bombs in everyday conversation, but "Sex Dungeon" is just the most gross and awkward name to call anything.

The same goes for stupid cocktail names.

One of the things that bothers me with this thread is we are discussing changes over time, values also changing, and what was PC is no longer PC... If we do not have the people in naming flies, e.g. Sex Dungeon, then this thread is/close to fruitless because times have changed, values have change, and what is considered PC has changed.

Last edited:

Jojo

A sometimes eternal optimist
WFF Supporter
So here's a thought, April is sexual violence awareness month. Maybe instead of waisting energy proclaiming who's the most woke when it comes to this issue, and how it relates to the childish, locker room behavioral naming of flies, we could have a fly raffle, and donate the proceedes to a worthy anti sexual violence group in April.
Wouldn't this be more effective than swearing off the term "boobies" when it comes to naming a fly.
And btw, when I think of term boobies, I think of breast cancer awareness.
Who is the most woke? And what do they win?

This post right here.... thank you O’C.... there is so much shit going on right now that being upset about a fly name is not highest on my list of things to get upset about. What O’Clarkii is suggesting is a great idea, and a much better way to support values and positions than to just keep arguing and trying to one up each other.

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
I wonder when this conversation moves to ski runs and rock climbing routes.

Nasty Gash
Glory Hole
Dick Dribble
The Big Woody
Organ grinder
Booby Love
May a dick grow out of your forehead
Inspect her Gadget
Way Homo Sperm Burpers from Fresno
My balls feel like a pair of marachas

There are thousands so we are going to busy.

dustinchromers

I wonder when this conversation moves to ski runs and rock climbing routes.

Nasty Gash
Glory Hole
Dick Dribble
The Big Woody
Organ grinder
Booby Love
May a dick grow out of your forehead
Inspect her Gadget
Way Homo Sperm Burpers from Fresno
My balls feel like a pair of marachas

There are thousands so we are going to busy.

Swimmy, there's a difference between titillating and clever insinuation and the obscene. Gross isn't artful. If just offence is the goal, mission accomplished. "Pole Dancer" has the fishing pole double meaning and kinda clever. I don't see that whimsy here. Fresno does suck though. Have family in Clovis and have spent time in the city while on kayaking trips and it straight up is a gross city. I can never leave fast enough. It's still second to Chicago though.

BDD

I never did put too much stock in a fly name. If the commercial fly companies want to use potentially offensive and/or derogatory names for their flies, let them suffer the consequences of a free market. For the rest of us, we can choose for ourselves what we like and don't like and act accordingly. I honestly never heard any of the names mentioned (though I have heard and bought some that have been mentioned here, the ones that you use on a full sinking lines in lakes and they float up above the weed beds) and have never made anyone feel uncomfortable about the names of flies to the best of my knowledge. Therefore, perhaps a difference of opinion by the author, I don't feel bad or guilty for any thing I have or have not done as it relates to fly names.

Maybe Woodrow Call had a point. Perhaps we are putting too much emphasis on a name?

Clara Allen:
Did you give that boy your name before you left Montana?

Woodrow Call:
I gave him my horse.

Clara Allen:
You gave him your horse, but not your name?

Woodrow Call:
I put a lot more value on the animal than I do my name.

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
So here's a thought, April is sexual violence awareness month. Maybe instead of waisting energy proclaiming who's the most woke when it comes to this issue, and how it relates to the childish, locker room behavioral naming of flies, we could have a fly raffle, and donate the proceedes to a worthy anti sexual violence group in April.
Wouldn't this be more effective than swearing off the term "boobies" when it comes to naming a fly.
And btw, when I think of term boobies, I think of breast cancer awareness.

Good idea, but I’ll also add that both are valuable. As proof, this thread brought you to suggest a good idea.

Conversations lead to change as much so if not more so than an auction.

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
Convincing the like minded is hardly a measure of effective persuasion.

You’re missing the point, and that’s the second time you’ve done so in this thread, you doing alright?

I wasn’t like minded before reading the article, I’m still not 100% like minded, but I have been convinced to think a little differently, and to ask others to do so as well. So it may not have been 100% effective for all as an approach, but when ever is an argument 100% effective?

You can’t argue the effect on bringing the issue to the forefront of a lot more minds.

Last edited:

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
If you didn't read all the posts I made a comment about PC/cancel culture based on the blog post in question. Some dude Ive since put on ignore went kinda nutty on me and I took the bait.....

I've got a good friend who's business was attacked by the PC/cancel mob over total bullshit so Im just kinda over it.....and yea I'm prolly a bit frazzled from the last year for various other reasons......I really don't want to take it down that road, but I'm also not going to stand by and take it.....Im a huge fan of respectful discourse but it seems hard to come by any more.

This is hilarious, I wasn’t even referring to him when I made my first comment! I hadn’t even read his post, because I was writing mine when his went up. The hypocrisy is sort obvious!

His respectful discourse was to tell other people to chill out! So respectful. He got real offended by everything and certainly didn’t “chill out”, he got offended enough that he put me on ignore.

Excellent proof of the point I was trying to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts