derogatory fly names...

Status
Not open for further replies.

g_smolt

Recreational User
Sure would be nice if everyone put as much effort into actually fixing, remediating, mitigating, or otherwise un-fucking the fisheries of WA, the greater PNW, and the historic salmon-producing states sas they put in to establishing their credentials vis-a-vis DEI efforts...

Not that there isn't a pressing need and place for DEI in the largely white judeo-christian euro-centric sport of fly angling, but last time I checked, y'all need to tighten up your conservation and restoration game before you should worry about the inclusiveness of killing the last fish.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
I just skipped the last 15 pages. I think it was 15, my math is a little fuzzy before the first cup of coffee kicks in. And even after that it's still suspect without a calculator.

So my plan for the day was to sit down and tie a few of my favorite steelhead patterns but I am in a bit of a quandary as to what I should do.

The Lady Caroline fly was named to honor this woman:

Now I have no idea if George Shanks who at the time served as the head ghillie at the Gordon Castle named this fly to honor her or did it to secretly mock her while giving the appearance of doing her honor. I wasn't there at the time for him to confide in me his true intent, and now knowing the true nature of men I find his motives suspect.

It's possible that if I tie them I am carrying on a horrid tradition of disparaging the good Lady or it may be equally possible that I am doing her a great honor. To settle this, hopefully before 9 am, I'm going to ask the mind hive of WFF what I should do.
  1. Tie the fly in it's original description and take my chances that George meant no ill will.
  2. Change the fly a little bit and call it the Lady Non-Binary.

smc

I just skipped the last 15 pages. I think it was 15, my math is a little fuzzy before the first cup of coffee kicks in. And even after that it's still suspect without a calculator.

So my plan for the day was to sit down and tie a few of my favorite steelhead patterns but I am in a bit of a quandary as to what I should do.

Now I have no idea if George Shanks who at the time served as the head ghillie at the Gordon Castle named this fly to honor her or did it to secretly mock her while giving the appearance of doing her honor. I wasn't there at the time for him to confide in me his true intent, and now knowing the true nature of men I find his motives suspect.

It's possible that if I tie them I am carrying on a horrid tradition of disparaging the good Lady or it may be equally possible that I am doing her a great honor. To settle this, hopefully before 9 am, I'm going to ask the mind hive of WFF what I should do.
  1. Tie the fly in it's original description and take my chances that George meant no ill will.
ask omj, he was probably there. or get woke and tie a lady gaga.

hookedonthefly

Minor...I believe it was actually Geordie Shanks. Then, it became Gordie, then George. Personally, i love the “Lady Caroline”; however, I’ll roll with the Akroyd...but, different river. Peace, Ed

triploidjunkie

You sound like a 18yo. My bad bro. When the world turns to mad max road warrior; and if you don't think it's heading that way you must be under a decent rock, you and your feelings will be the first to go.
People have been saying the world is going towards Mad Max since, well, before the movie was made. I do agree these people with shit for brains that buy into these Q conspiracies might speed that process up, though.

Rob Allen

Sure would be nice if everyone put as much effort into actually fixing, remediating, mitigating, or otherwise un-fucking the fisheries of WA, the greater PNW, and the historic salmon-producing states sas they put in to establishing their credentials vis-a-vis DEI efforts...

Not that there isn't a pressing need and place for DEI in the largely white judeo-christian euro-centric sport of fly angling, but last time I checked, y'all need to tighten up your conservation and restoration game before you should worry about the inclusiveness of killing the last fish.
ehhh if all of us quit out jobs and spent all out time and recourses on salmon recovery we couldn't improve things one bit.. if Jeff Bezos and bill gates and Elon Musk all quit what they are doing and spent all their time and recourses on salmon recovery it likewise wouldn't change things one bit. Salmon recovery is beyond human effort at this point. We cannot spend our way out of it.

If you looked around at fly fishing today i think you'd find next to zero Judeo- Christian influence, and when it does show up it gets mocked.

hookedonthefly

Okay. I agree, names have consequences. One of my very good friends, a fisheries scientist, misspelled my last name. I told him as punishment, I was going to name my Dog after him as he turned a perfectly good Scotsman into an Irishman. Unintended consequences...Now, I have a 105lb. cantankerous, (although smart), hard-headed Dog. :), Ed

Last edited:

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
If you looked around at fly fishing today i think you'd find next to zero Judeo- Christian influence, and when it does show up it gets mocked.
Well if we could all walk on water like Jesus that'd sure make covering the runs a lot easier, but alas, even Jesus can't do that anymore since he got holes in his feet after that whole crucifixion dealio....so yeah the influence is all gone bye bye.
:oops: :D:oops:

Rob Allen

Well if we could all walk on water like Jesus that'd sure make covering the runs a lot easier, but alas, even Jesus can't do that anymore since he got holes in his feet after that whole crucifixion dealio....so yeah the influence is all gone bye bye.
:oops: :D:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts