NOF 2021

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Losing two weeks of resident coho in area 10 stings a bit!

They’ll be just a bit bigger come the opener.

I wish they’d open MA 9 on July 1st for coho like they’ve done some years in the past, but I’m sure possible chinook encounters play in to when it opens.
MA 9 has gone from once open year round to basically a 10 week season in the best beaching salmon fishing MA in the sound.
I really miss October but doubt we’ll see it open again as long as Snohomish wild coho stay at their current levels.
SF

skyrise

CCA, Hatchery Wild Coexist
Northwest sportsman magazine has a good read on NOF 2021.
Sounds like MA 9 may not open at all ? Or just for pink Salmon. Stilly a big ??? or just NO.

Stonefish

9 will be open.

The NWS article mentioned no salmon fishing on the Stilly but that there would be a gamefish season which I know has been missed by many folks here in this forum.
SF

skyrise

CCA, Hatchery Wild Coexist
9 will be open.

The NWS article mentioned no salmon fishing on the Stilly but that there would be a gamefish season which I know has been missed by many folks here in this forum.
SF
I read that to. Hope so but doubtful. Take it for what is now & see what happens ?

Blktailhunter

I’m hearing that they are planning on taking a sizable portion of the MA 9 king quota away this is summer and applying it to next March, so there will be a black mouth fishery next year in MA 9. I hope that is not the case. These are hatchery fish. What becomes of those fish that are not taken by the rec angler? Do they go to the nets? I would rather catch some mature kings in the summer than immature kings in the spring.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
I’m hearing that they are planning on taking a sizable portion of the MA 9 king quota away this is summer and applying it to next March, so there will be a black mouth fishery next year in MA 9. I hope that is not the case. These are hatchery fish. What becomes of those fish that are not taken by the rec angler? Do they go to the nets? I would rather catch some mature kings in the summer than immature kings in the spring.

With the state of our fisheries the way they are it is long past due to end fishing for juvenile salmon, let them grow and put that impact into the summer fisheries!

wetswinger

With the state of our fisheries the way they are it is long past due to end fishing for juvenile salmon, let them grow and put that impact into the summer fisheries!
Do you feel that way about the ressie-silver fishery? Its there for recreational fishing, paid for with license fees, and I enjoy eating them in the Winter, Spring and Fall here in area #13..

Sportsman

I miss the sockeye fishery on Lake Washington. South of the I-90 bridge with a small white flasher and nothing more than a red hook. Days gone past.

Stonefish

I got bored today so I wanted to see how many fall chinook returned to hatcheries that would have likely swam through MA 9 on their way back home.
I did it on the last five years and only on the major hatcheries. I didn’t include the Wallace as those are listed as summer chinook.
I couldn’t find any numbers for the Nisqually so these number would be higher.
I based it off of George Adam (Skokomish), Issaquah, Soos Creek (Green), Voights (Puyallup), Tumwater (Deschutes) and Minter Creek.
2020 - 29,069
2019 - 47,363
2018 - 64,236
2017 - 99,607
2016 - 81,705
This years quota for MA 9 is 4,700 hatchery fish.
MA 10 has a quota of just over 3,700 hatchery fish.
Obviously a lot comes into play such as fish caught outside the sound, ESA listed fish, encounters, blackmouth fisheries were involved.
I didn’t look up what the quotes were for each year, but it seems a good deal of opportunity gets left on the table in some years.
Fire away ;)
SF

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
When the paradigm is “weak stock management” the number of fish in the strong stocks and the hatchery stocks is largely irrelevant.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts