Question...is Euro nymphing actually fly fishing?

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
I've heard arguments on both sides from guides and anglers on the east and west coasts. Some think it is, some think it isn't. Seems like a matter of opinion and where you draw the line on the definition of fly fishing. Thoughts?

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
Is nymphing, with a bobber and split shot, fly fishing? Most would say that it is, without hesitation. However, it is arguable that it is further away from "real" fly fishing than euro nymphing. The same could be said for throwing 5" streamers, in the salt.

None of this matters. Do what you enjoy.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
It's all just "fishing" to me. Makes life much easier.

Ya, I don't see the need to get all complicated.

To me, if I'm fishing with a fly rod and a fly, I'm fly fishing.

If I'm using other stuff, I'm gear fishing.

I dont really care what anyone else thinks.

Fishing is fun. I like all types of fishing, although some more than others. Well, except tenkara....that shit is dumb ;)

Last edited:

longputt

Long before I knew anything about flyfishing I found that the best way to catch all the trout was "flylining" a worm subsurface or grasshopper on the surface with no weight and small hooks. I wouldn't call that flyfishing. But I think trolling flies is definitely fly fishing. Because I'm fishing, with a fly.
OMG the first fish I remember catching was brown trout on a fly rod with all mono and a real hopper that I caught in the grass and floated down stream without casting...it was 50+ years ago but I remember it like it was yesterday...I like to fish.

I'm confused by the OP's question. How is euro nymphing substantially different than 'high sticking' a nymph drift - other than the rod length and line? Not sure why it wouldn't be 'fly fishing."

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
I feel like stripping streamers is closer to fishing a Rapala. You could literally replace the streamer with a Rapala, do everything the same and it would probably work. The same goes for fishing nymphs, with a strike indicator; fly and bubble rigs for spin rods are basically the same thing. I think the purity hierarchy is as follows.
  1. Drifting dry flies
  2. Swinging wet flies or streamers
  3. Euro nymphing
  4. Indicator nymphing
  5. Stripping streamers
  6. Trolling flies
  7. Bombarda
  8. Fly and bubble

Last edited:

longputt

Absolutely by the IGFA definition...but really? In fact there is a finely detailed definition. We used to use split shot and streamers to catch "dollies" with a spool of only mono on our fly rods...we did not call it fly fishing...we called efficient...dollies taste great.

This is a great topic...the IGFA has changed recently to allow 2 flies and bobbers...but still no trolling.

longputt

This topic is so funny to me. I think people overthink this stuff. I don’t do it much because it’s not my favorite way to fish, but at the end of the day we are all using a pole/rod/whatever to stick something in the water and I think we should just call it fishing.
I agree except.....The only issue I have is when we have "fly-fishing-only" regulations and we "superior" fly fisherman exclude others and then don't fly-fish...seems wrong to me. Just elitist nonsense.

I was in NZ recently and it was made clear in a fly fishing only lake that there would be no trolling, floating lines only, no weight and one fly.

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
I agree except.....The only issue I have is when we have "fly-fishing-only" regulations and we "superior" fly fisherman exclude others and then don't fly-fish...seems wrong to me. Just elitist nonsense.

I was in NZ recently and it was made clear in a fly fishing only lake that there would be no trolling, floating lines only, no weight and one fly.

You probably won't like Oregon either.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts