Question...is Euro nymphing actually fly fishing?

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
I've heard arguments on both sides from guides and anglers on the east and west coasts. Some think it is, some think it isn't. Seems like a matter of opinion and where you draw the line on the definition of fly fishing. Thoughts?

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
I don't get why people care. Euro nymphing or indicator nymphing is not a 100% garauntee. If you use a bobber, you are missing strikes, and the further out you fish, the more fish you miss. If you euro nymph, you pick up most of your strikes, but you are severely limited in range.

I have a fly line on my reel with my 40' euro-leader, so yes, I am still fly-fishing.
Just curious, this was not intended to be some challenge or test

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
I agree except.....The only issue I have is when we have "fly-fishing-only" regulations and we "superior" fly fisherman exclude others and then don't fly-fish...seems wrong to me. Just elitist nonsense.

I was in NZ recently and it was made clear in a fly fishing only lake that there would be no trolling, floating lines only, no weight and one fly.
I’d totally fish there if I could afford a trip to NZ

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
It’s a shame that entitled elitists have sullied the name of fly fishing in general. I’m aware that a fair amount of y’all squeakier wheels think I am one of those people. Trust me it’s really hard to be rich and elite on 40k a year. Fish how you want to fish, obviously! Please just respect the natural setting you are in.
The only thing I look down on is when fishers don’t pack out any of their trash and leave crap everywhere. Also when people harass fly fishers and shoot at them (Ambushed on the Stillaguamish). To those of you saying things like “I don’t care what it’s called, I just fish the way I want to fish” please realize that I do the exact same thing same thing, fish how I want to fish.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
It’s a shame that entitled elitists have sullied the name of fly fishing in general.
Those entitled elitists didn't sully the name of fly fishing. They developed the concept and sport of fly fishing. Without their vision and development of gear and techniques, we unentitled proletarians would most likely still be dunking worms to catch trout. Fly fishers are a worm's best friend!

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
Those entitled elitists didn't sully the name of fly fishing. They developed the concept and sport of fly fishing. Without their vision and development of gear and techniques, we unentitled proletarians would most likely still be dunking worms to catch trout. Fly fishers are a worm's best friend!

I sometimes scoop worms out of my driveway and place them in the grass. You see what fly fishing has done for me? :)

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter

It got popular because of that Barker guy

The Compleat Angler was first published in 1653, but Izaak Walton continued to add to it for a quarter of a century... Walton did not profess to be an expert with a fishing fly; the fly fishing in his first edition was contributed by Thomas Barker, a retired cook and humorist, who produced a treatise of his own in 1659; but in the use of the live worm, the grasshopper and the frog "Piscator" himself could speak as a master.

A Brother of the Angle must alwaies be sped
With three black Palmers, & also two red,
And all made with Hackles: in a cloudy day,
Or in windy weather, angle you may:
But morning and evening, if the day be bright,
And the chief point of all is to keep out of sight.
In the moneth of May, none but the May-flye;
For every month one, is a pitiful lye:
The black hawthorn flye must be very small,
And the sandy hogs haire is sure best of all
For the Mallard wing'd May-flye; and the Peacocks train
Will look like the flesh-flye to kill Trout amaine.
The oak flye is good, if it have a brown wing,
So is the Grashopper that in July doth sing,
With a green body, make him on a midle siz'd hook;
But when you have catcht fish, then play the good Cook.
Once more my good brother, Ile speak in thy eare,
Hogs, red Cows, & Bears wooll, to float best appear,
And so doth your fur, if rightly it fall;
But alwayes remember, make two and make all.

from
BARKER'S DELIGHT:
OR,
THE ART OF
A N G L I N G.
Wherein are discovered many rare Secrets very necessary to be
known by all that delight in that Recreation, both for catching the Fish,
and dressing thereof.

kmudgn

Personally, I consider fishing under a bobber (you can call it a strike indicator, but it is really an expensive bobber) to be fishing with flies, but not fly fishing. It is no different than what Huck Finn did with a Hickory Stick, string, and a piece of cork. However, that is just MY opinion as I am a dry fly snob. So, fish how you like.

I do suspect that there have been a ton of electrons wasted on arguments regarding bobber fishing and the number of threads on the subject possibly only being topped by "what is the best oil" in car forums

DerekWhipple

Oh yeah, thanks to whoever posted that picture of Del Canty. I got a serious nostalgia rush and had flashbacks to hearing about that guy from my older brother in Colorado when I was a 12 year old budding farm pond fly fisher in the midwest burbs who was nowhere remotely near catching his first trout. My only exposure to trout was through well worn books at the library. I went down a rabbit hole last night. Do people still flyfish for giant browns in flaming gorge?

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
I'm not talking about the founding fathers of fly fishing, I'm talking the people who decide who gets into Ivy League schools over dinner in the dining hall at a fly fishing camp. I'm talking about fly fishers who treat their guides like their person servants, not like actual people and therefore not worth respecting.

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
It got popular because of that Barker guy

The Compleat Angler was first published in 1653, but Izaak Walton continued to add to it for a quarter of a century... Walton did not profess to be an expert with a fishing fly; the fly fishing in his first edition was contributed by Thomas Barker, a retired cook and humorist, who produced a treatise of his own in 1659; but in the use of the live worm, the grasshopper and the frog "Piscator" himself could speak as a master.

A Brother of the Angle must alwaies be sped
With three black Palmers, & also two red,
And all made with Hackles: in a cloudy day,
Or in windy weather, angle you may:
But morning and evening, if the day be bright,
And the chief point of all is to keep out of sight.
In the moneth of May, none but the May-flye;
For every month one, is a pitiful lye:
The black hawthorn flye must be very small,
And the sandy hogs haire is sure best of all
For the Mallard wing'd May-flye; and the Peacocks train
Will look like the flesh-flye to kill Trout amaine.
The oak flye is good, if it have a brown wing,
So is the Grashopper that in July doth sing,
With a green body, make him on a midle siz'd hook;
But when you have catcht fish, then play the good Cook.
Once more my good brother, Ile speak in thy eare,
Hogs, red Cows, & Bears wooll, to float best appear,
And so doth your fur, if rightly it fall;
But alwayes remember, make two and make all.

from
BARKER'S DELIGHT:
OR,
THE ART OF
A N G L I N G.
Wherein are discovered many rare Secrets very necessary to be
known by all that delight in that Recreation, both for catching the Fish,
and dressing thereof.
Again, I'm not talking about pioneers or the people who made fly fishing popular.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts