Question...is Euro nymphing actually fly fishing?

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
I've heard arguments on both sides from guides and anglers on the east and west coasts. Some think it is, some think it isn't. Seems like a matter of opinion and where you draw the line on the definition of fly fishing. Thoughts?

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
Personally, I consider fishing under a bobber (you can call it a strike indicator, but it is really an expensive bobber) to be fishing with flies, but not fly fishing. It is no different than what Huck Finn did with a Hickory Stick, string, and a piece of cork. However, that is just MY opinion as I am a dry fly snob. So, fish how you like.

I do suspect that there have been a ton of electrons wasted on arguments regarding bobber fishing and the number of threads on the subject possibly only being topped by "what is the best oil" in car forums
Are they different? I thought a "strike indicator" was just a term used by people ashamed to call it what it is, a bobber. I also agree about your assessment of fishing under a bobber, but now that I'VE said it, all hell may break loose on this thread! Sorry in advance.

Reactions: dfl

longputt

Give me time and I’ll use it as a preposition, an adverb and an interjection! Wait, I’ve used it as an interjection almost every time I fish. When I see my buddies indicator, indicate, I will some times shout “Indicator!”.
Does this mean when the indicator goes down it was "indicatored"?

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Are they different? I thought a "strike indicator" was just a term used by people ashamed to call it what it is, a bobber. I also agree about your assessment of fishing under a bobber, but now that I'VE said it, all hell may break loose on this thread! Sorry in advance.

The search function is a wonderful tool that will tell you such information.

Zak

WFF Supporter
I'm not talking about the founding fathers of fly fishing, I'm talking the . I'm talking about fly fishers who treat their guides like their person servants, not like actual people and therefore not worth respecting.
Although, to be fair, the founding fathers of fly fishing probably were also the people who decide who gets into Ivy League schools (or whatever the British equivalent was) over dinner at a fly fishing camp.

dragless

Interesting.Ultimately, all the “rules,regulations,laws, etc” don’t really define how fly fishing is different from other types of fishing; however, somewhere there is line between fly fishing and non fly fishing.I think you really need to go back to fly fishings beginnings and appreciate what the real essence of it was to be able to decide.In the beginning it was all about imitating floating aquatic insects that trout were eating as they hatched from streams.
Modern techniques, gear, - including lures that can be cast with a fly rod( modern streamers) have blurred that line a great deal.Maybe saltwater fly fishing is lure fishing?
What is interesting is how upset some folks get about if what they do with a fly rod is “fly fishing”.If you feel that only an upstream dry fly is “ fly fishing” so be it, but only each individual can decide what they want at the end of their fly rod and what it represents to them.
A fishing method doesn’t make you superior - it is all just fishing.
But not everything done with a fly rod is fly fishing....

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
But not everything done with a fly rod is fly fishing....

This is true, I once poked a crab with the tip of my fly rod. That crab grabbed the tip and promptly snapped it in two. That was not fly fishing. The bonefish I caught on that trip were caught using that rod and I was fly fishing when I caught them.

• Haha
Reactions: dfl
Give me time and I’ll use it as a preposition, an adverb and an interjection! Wait, I’ve used it as an interjection almost every time I fish. When I see my buddies indicator, indicate, I will some times shout “Indicator!”.
Indicatoring is just a shorthand way of saying that Ira likes to indicator fish using an indicator, or to fish in an indicatorly way, especially when indicator Indiana.

sorry, but preposition is a bit of a stretch...

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
Indicatoring is just a shorthand way of saying that Ira likes to indicator fish using an indicator, or to fish in an indicatorly way, especially when indicator Indiana.

sorry, but preposition is a bit of a stretch...

It might have been a stretch, but not bad anyway, better than what I came up with.

duggiefresh

Euronymphing isn't fly fishing and neither is using a bobber. They are crutches for those who can't cast.

Same with Nintendo or whatever its called when there is no reel and a collapsible pole.

Fly fishers don't know the difference between one of those most successful video game companies and a type fishing; we should take everyone's opinion here with a grain of salt.

D C Brenna

I agree except.....The only issue I have is when we have "fly-fishing-only" regulations and we "superior" fly fisherman exclude others and then don't fly-fish...seems wrong to me. Just elitist nonsense.

I was in NZ recently and it was made clear in a fly fishing only lake that there would be no trolling, floating lines only, no weight and one fly.
Depending on the state, those “selective fishery” regulations mostly cover hook (barbless) number of flies or lures, and catch/release or limits. In WA there is no regulations regarding type of rod, reel or line.

This debate goes all the way back to Halford and Skues. I’ve written about this debate. There was a recent Zoom conference from English fly authors, and it was quite entertaining. Here’s my blog post on the subject.

DerekWhipple

The funny thing about the "dry fly fishing is the only thing that is actually fly fishing" people is that their definition of "fly fishing" is totally abritrary, it's chosen from a specific point in the late 1800's, and then they pick and chose the technology that they use Why is using advanced graphite rods and nylon tippet acceptable? If we're talking about tradition here, shouldn't you be using a bamboo rod with silk line and gut leader? Graphite rods, plastic fly line and nylon leaders and tippet are just crutches for people who can't cast or catch fish. People caught big fish and cast 100 feet with natural materials 150 years ago, why can't you?

Wet fly fishing with a fixed line has been practiced around the world for thousands of years. Why isn't that the definition of "fly fishing" by which all else is measured?

CreekScrambler

The dry-fly-only purists just haven’t fished enough: they’ve been limited to trout in streams, and that’s pretty boring compared to what’s out there in the wider world. It’s kind of like arguing that rodeo or mounted archery aren’t equestrian sports because they aren’t dressed like tools and jumping cute little weenie obstacle courses.

We’re dealing with the ultimate fuddy duddies. Have these English-tradition gatekeepers ever heard of Atlantic salmon fly fishing? Prolly can’t hear well, what with the twisted knickers and all.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts