Question...is Euro nymphing actually fly fishing?

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
I've heard arguments on both sides from guides and anglers on the east and west coasts. Some think it is, some think it isn't. Seems like a matter of opinion and where you draw the line on the definition of fly fishing. Thoughts?

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
The dry-fly-only purists just haven’t fished enough: they’ve been limited to trout in streams, and that’s pretty boring compared to what’s out there in the wider world. It’s kind of like arguing that rodeo or mounted archery aren’t equestrian sports because they aren’t dressed like tools and jumping cute little weenie obstacle courses.

We’re dealing with the ultimate fuddy duddies. Have these English-tradition gatekeepers ever heard of Atlantic salmon fly fishing? Prolly can’t hear well, what with the twisted knickers and all.
I beg to differ. I fish other methods (full sink, intermediate line, nymphing if I have to, ACTIVE Chironomid fishing, streamers, and a I’ve hardly been limited in places to fish having lived in the northeast, Colorado and Everett. Dry fly fishing is what I like best. Something about seeing the fish take your fly right off the surface...and I’m 38 (which to millennials probably does make me a fuddy duddy. However anyone who uses the term “fuddy duddy” should do some introspection because honestly who says that anymore.
Fish how you want, just please respect the environment and the fish!

CreekScrambler

I beg to differ. I fish other methods (full sink, intermediate line, nymphing if I have to, ACTIVE Chironomid fishing, streamers, and a I’ve hardly been limited in places to fish having lived in the northeast, Colorado and Everett. Dry fly fishing is what I like best. Something about seeing the fish take your fly right off the surface...and I’m 38 (which to millennials probably does make me a fuddy duddy. However anyone who uses the term “fuddy duddy” should do some introspection because honestly who says that anymore.
You may prefer dries, but you also haven’t yet put in writing that when you say fly fishing, you mean dry fly fishing. You also haven’t tried to distinguish nymph fishing from fly fishing in writing. You are probably not a purist of DC Brenna’s caliber based on the variety in your fishing.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but:

Try slinging a Gen Z insult next time you want to put the kids down.....millennials are at least 25 by now.

By the way, I love fishing dries, too. I’m just not gonna pretend that a handful of old-schoolers have the keys to the castle on this one.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
If you're 38, you are a millennial. Welcome to the club.

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
Every time Evan tells the group he and Nick are professionals, take a drink.
L8VPdFIT_o.gif

Fast Action Freddie

Having a drink in The Buff
I am so glad I snuck into Gen X. We are such a cooler, non meaningful, irrelevant, useless, extrinsic, inessential, superfluous generational cohort.

Phew mom and dad for getting your groove on when you did.
You got it there what makes Gen X so complex, so alluring - it’s the juxtaposition of cooler and irrelevant/useless.

Kind of like a fine Nebbiolo from Barolo or Barbaresco — the yin and yang of notes of cherries/strawberries/rose petal perfume along with tar/tobacco/licorice. So contrasting and so Gen X and yet ‘who gives a shit?’

D C Brenna

Dry fly > swung streamer > stripped streamer > nymph with fly line and no bobber > fly line with bobber. That's the hierarchy of fly-fishing. Bobbers barely make it and it's acceptable to debate whether using a bobber is truly fly fishing.

Nymph with mono isn't fly fly fishing. It's a couple steps below a Rapala, vibrax, or little cleo. It's about equal with drifting a worm, minnow, salted Minnow, skein or egg sack. It's classier than having worm or corn on a hook while your rod is resting against a fork shaped stick, although it's much less fun. Undoubtedly, all of the methods in this paragraph are considered fishing.

Centerpinning is the LCD and should be looked at with disgust and disdain. It is loosely considered fishing - just as soccer, roller hockey, and men's cheerleading are loosely considered sports.
I like what you’ve done here, but I suspect it won’t go over well.

D C Brenna

I beg to differ. I fish other methods (full sink, intermediate line, nymphing if I have to, ACTIVE Chironomid fishing, streamers, and a I’ve hardly been limited in places to fish having lived in the northeast, Colorado and Everett. Dry fly fishing is what I like best. Something about seeing the fish take your fly right off the surface...and I’m 38 (which to millennials probably does make me a fuddy d. However anyone who uses the term “fuddy duddy” should do some introspection because honestly who says that anymore.
Thanks! I thinks it’s been years since I was called a “fuddy daddy”! Made me laugh!

Fast Action Freddie

Having a drink in The Buff
I like what you’ve done here, but I suspect it won’t go over well.
This whole thread has gone over really well with me — it has done so much to increase my knowledge and appreciation of this pastime (whether you consider this to be a sport, recreation, fly-fishing, just fishing, Internet forum posting and/or trolling, trolling for fish with fly gear or non-fly gear .... I think we can all agree that it is a pastime, i.e. “a way (but not the only way) to ‘pass the time’”. The trout speaks the truth and the trout has spoken. End parentheses)

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts