Question...is Euro nymphing actually fly fishing?

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
I've heard arguments on both sides from guides and anglers on the east and west coasts. Some think it is, some think it isn't. Seems like a matter of opinion and where you draw the line on the definition of fly fishing. Thoughts?

Fast Action Freddie

Having a drink in The Buff
I like what you’ve done here, but I suspect it won’t go over well.
This whole thread has gone over really well with me — it has done so much to increase my knowledge and appreciation of this pastime (whether you consider this to be a sport, recreation, fly-fishing, just fishing, Internet forum posting and/or trolling, trolling for fish with fly gear or non-fly gear .... I think we can all agree that it is a pastime, i.e. “a way (but not the only way) to ‘pass the time’”. The trout speaks the truth and the trout has spoken. End parentheses)

duggiefresh

3506346-0.jpg

Euro nymphing? Dry Fly? As long as you're having fun, D-Gen X doesn't care!

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
13 pages, yeesh, is it really that important??? :D

cheers
Every time Evan tells the group he and Nick are professionals, take a drink.
L8VPdFIT_o.gif
It is now that it's a drinking game!!

But yeah, call it whatever you call it, who cares. Especially considering the regulations have already settled this (spoiler alert, euro nymphing is fly fishing in Washington).

Attachments

• 1619109491097.png
    1619109491097.png
    25 KB · Views: 10

DerekWhipple

It is now that it's a drinking game!!

But yeah, call it whatever you call it, who cares. Especially considering the regulations have already settled this (spoiler alert, euro nymphing is fly fishing in Washington).
From how I see that, you only need 25 feet of "fly line" on your reel. It doesn't even need to leave the reel.

Interesting that "knotless net" is part of the definition.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
From how I see that, you only need 25 feet of "fly line" on your reel. It doesn't even need to leave the reel.

Interesting that "knotless net" is part of the definition.
Doesn't need to leave the reel, but can't used fixed spool. Which makes me wonder about that weird contraption @jaredoconnor shared the other day. Technically I don't think you'd be able to do that in fly fishing only waters since there is no spool.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
How about we just call is Trickalege Chordata and remove the meaningless categorizations.

As humans we love bucketing and ranking though. Here is my meaningless definition of fly fishing:

If you have to cast the line versus lure/bait and if the initial hook set is accomplished via manual management of the line versus a reel, you are fly fishing. Sorry you dirty fly rod trollers. You are SOL my friends;).

Nice rapalas @Swimmy. I think I’ll tie up some saltwater versions for SRC and coho.

CreekScrambler

I feel like stripping streamers is closer to fishing a Rapala. You could literally replace the streamer with a Rapala, do everything the same and it would probably work. The same goes for fishing nymphs, with a strike indicator; fly and bubble rigs for spin rods are basically the same thing. I think the purity hierarchy is as follows.
  1. Drifting dry flies
  2. Swinging wet flies or streamers
  3. Euro nymphing
  4. Indicator nymphing
  5. Stripping streamers
  6. Trolling flies
  7. Bombarda
  8. Fly and bubble
This is a really solid ranking for salmonid tactics if one has to rank. I’d add 1.b for dead drifted nymph, 2.b for waking dry and bump swung streamers down to 3 with the rest following as written.

I could see an argument for stripping streamers outranking indicator nymphing, but I wouldn’t push it.

At some point, the ranking ends up prioritizing one family of fishes or another. Salmonids end up setting the general tone, but if the net expands to include the true breadth of game fish on the fly, the ranking attempt falls apart because the world is huge and full of nuance. Fly fishing would be wayyyy bigger if it could ease up on the tradition-worship.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts