Question...is Euro nymphing actually fly fishing?

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
I've heard arguments on both sides from guides and anglers on the east and west coasts. Some think it is, some think it isn't. Seems like a matter of opinion and where you draw the line on the definition of fly fishing. Thoughts?

DerekWhipple

Fly fishing would be wayyyy bigger if it could ease up on the tradition-worship.
It was before the spinning reel and monofilament came along. If you fished, you used a bait caster and picked out backlashes, or used a fly rod and had to deal with the silk line BS. If you were a good fisherman, you used the fly rod with night crawlers or minnows. My grandfather used a fly rod for panfish and bass (bait and fly) until nylon line and spinning reels came along.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Really, it's more like this:

1. stripping streamers
2. stripping streamers
3. stripping streamers
47. dry or die
107. swinging streamers
136. nymphing (they're all combined in my model)
137. worm/bobber

It should be noted that I do all of the above except for 137, but if my kiddo shows any sort of interest in fishing, you'd better believe that'll be utilized.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Fly fishing would be wayyyy bigger if it could ease up on the tradition-worship.
And there in we get at the crux of the problem. Why make fly fishing bigger, let alone wayyy bigger, unless you're trying to make a buck by commercializing it? Fly fishing was a perfectly good small niche market until somebody decided they could make a lot more money by expanding the universe that fly fishing has become.

CreekScrambler

And there in we get at the crux of the problem. Why make fly fishing bigger, let alone wayyy bigger, unless you're trying to make a buck by commercializing it? Fly fishing was a perfectly good small niche market until somebody decided they could make a lot more money by expanding the universe that fly fishing has become.
Good point. Niche is good, obscure is good. I guess the best export of fly fishing to the greater world of sport fishing is possibly the stance on conservation and responsible C&R. Obviously, it is likely better still to have as few people as possible fishing vs hordes powered by internet hype.

Maybe: if a smaller slice of all people fished with rod and line and a greater share of them did so on fly gear, that might be pleasant. Who knows?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts