Question...is Euro nymphing actually fly fishing?

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
I've heard arguments on both sides from guides and anglers on the east and west coasts. Some think it is, some think it isn't. Seems like a matter of opinion and where you draw the line on the definition of fly fishing. Thoughts?

Zak

WFF Supporter
WFF Supporter
Long before I knew anything about flyfishing I found that the best way to catch all the trout was "flylining" a worm subsurface or grasshopper on the surface with no weight and small hooks. I wouldn't call that flyfishing. But I think trolling flies is definitely fly fishing. Because I'm fishing, with a fly.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
I know you are new here. Generally it's considered poor form to bump old posts. I'm seeing a habit of you bumping them with posts that come off as righteous or are meant to provoke. You then seem to struggle with the attention this brings back towards you. Might I suggest laying low, getting to know people and participating in the posts that are current?
I pulled this @b_illymac quotes from one of the other thread you started tried trolling on.

Soooo, Lily, apparently this is just who you are.

Like I said in the other thread, if you're gonna troll, TROLL...be better, or as one of my favorite musky dudes says, "Suck Less, thanks"

I mean, and I ask this with sincerity, what's you're point here? Are you really curious? are you trying to troll? or what....c'mon, be honest.

longputt

Long before I knew anything about flyfishing I found that the best way to catch all the trout was "flylining" a worm subsurface or grasshopper on the surface with no weight and small hooks. I wouldn't call that flyfishing. But I think trolling flies is definitely fly fishing. Because I'm fishing, with a fly.
OMG the first fish I remember catching was brown trout on a fly rod with all mono and a real hopper that I caught in the grass and floated down stream without casting...it was 50+ years ago but I remember it like it was yesterday...I like to fish.

BC33

Fish how u want, and dont worry about it.

Euro nymphing is another (very effective) arrow in my quiver.

That said, I'd rather sight fish dries to 20" trout if I had my druthers, but since that often isn't how things work, I do what gets a bend in the rod.....and once you dial in euro, it is super deadly.

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
I pulled this @b_illymac quotes from one of the other thread you started tried trolling on.

Soooo, Lily, apparently this is just who you are.

Like I said in the other thread, if you're gonna troll, TROLL...be better, or as one of my favorite musky dudes says, "Suck Less, thanks"

I mean, and I ask this with sincerity, what's you're point here? Are you really curious? are you trying to troll? or what....c'mon, be honest.
Are you fucking kidding me? You just like to jump at any chance to insult me. This is a QUESTION, which is why I asked it, because I'm curious about what people think. YOU are referring to a completely different thread and bringing it into a new one. Just pick someone new to bully and leave me alone. Thanks for another chance to use the ignore function!

chris stiemert

WFF Supporter
End of winter always seems to bring a special environment on this forum, can’t wait for everyone to get out and catch some fish. I went out Saturday and was skunked but was great to breathe some fresh air and not be on the internet.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
Is fishing a bead fly fishing? Didn't we just have this discussion? 3.2.1..... go
I really need to get out, but between school and the weather things are conspiring against me. :)

Zak

WFF Supporter
WFF Supporter
Short story suggestion, relates to fishing grasshoppers on a fly rod. Read Hemingway's "Big Two Hearted River" only about 40 pages, really a great read.
I love that story. I have an book that arranges Hemingway's trout stories in sort of an order as its own book. Nice read.

But in the story of my youth, I was fishing them on mono on a spinning rod.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts