Question...is Euro nymphing actually fly fishing?

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
I've heard arguments on both sides from guides and anglers on the east and west coasts. Some think it is, some think it isn't. Seems like a matter of opinion and where you draw the line on the definition of fly fishing. Thoughts?

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
End of winter always seems to bring a special environment on this forum, can’t wait for everyone to get out and catch some fish. I went out Saturday and was skunked but was great to breathe some fresh air and not be on the internet.
I've been skunked on the Stilly three times in the past two months and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

longputt

Like I said the only issue I have is why do "fly-fishermen" get special regulations?

If I were king-for-a-day all fishing would be single barbless hook artificial lures...fish when you want, where want, how you want.

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
Is fishing a bead fly fishing? Didn't we just have this discussion? 3.2.1..... go
I really need to get out, but between school and the weather things are conspiring against me. :)
Lol, yet another minor controversy I've heard people argue about over campfires, but much less often than the euro nymphing question. I'm still new so if this discussion has been had elsewhere I missed it.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
I think you put entirely too much effort in to trying to define what fly fishing is. It's accounted for nearly all your posts here. Why is this so important to you? Do you need validation for the label you've given yourself? Is there really this much of a need to draw these lines to "belong" somewhere?

This forum has been here for 20yrs, many of us here a good majority of that. Notice hardly any of us seem to care nearly as much about this as you. Those of us like Nick and I that actually make our full time jobs out of this sport don't even bother to worry about it. Because it's not important. Enjoy what you do, talk about techniques you actually want to learn, or want to share. There's no point in arguing semantics. It's a tired argument.

longputt

I think you put entirely too much effort in to trying to define what fly fishing is. It's accounted for nearly all your posts here. Why is this so important to you? Do you need validation for the label you've given yourself? Is there really this much of a need to draw these lines to "belong" somewhere?

This forum has been here for 20yrs, many of us here a good majority of that. Notice hardly any of us seem to care nearly as much about this as you. Those of us like Nick and I that actually make our full time jobs out of this sport don't even bother to worry about it. Because it's not important. Enjoy what you do, talk about techniques you actually want to learn, or want to share. There's no point in arguing semantics. It's a tired argument.
It's not semantics when a certain group gets preferential treatment.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts