Question...is Euro nymphing actually fly fishing?

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
I've heard arguments on both sides from guides and anglers on the east and west coasts. Some think it is, some think it isn't. Seems like a matter of opinion and where you draw the line on the definition of fly fishing. Thoughts?

longputt

I think you put entirely too much effort in to trying to define what fly fishing is. It's accounted for nearly all your posts here. Why is this so important to you? Do you need validation for the label you've given yourself? Is there really this much of a need to draw these lines to "belong" somewhere?

This forum has been here for 20yrs, many of us here a good majority of that. Notice hardly any of us seem to care nearly as much about this as you. Those of us like Nick and I that actually make our full time jobs out of this sport don't even bother to worry about it. Because it's not important. Enjoy what you do, talk about techniques you actually want to learn, or want to share. There's no point in arguing semantics. It's a tired argument.
It's not semantics when a certain group gets preferential treatment.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
So legally, per WDFW regs, pg. 16
Fly A lure on which thread, feathers, hackle, foam, rubber, or yarn cover a minimum of half the shank of the hook. Metallic colored tape, metal wire, metal tape, tinsel, mylar, or beadeyes may be used as an integral part of the design of the fly pattern
"Fly Fishing Only In “Fly Fishing Only” waters, anglers may use only the following gear: up to 2 flies, each with a barbless single-point hook, not to exceed ½" from point to shank, knotless nets, and conventional fly line or a conventional “Tenkara” fly line. Other line can be used for backing or leader if attached to conventional “Tenkara” fly line or at least 25 feet of conventional fly line. Anglers may not use: fixed spool reels, bait, or weights."

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
ok how about this:

If the consensus says that yes, Euro Nymphing is fly fishing: Are you interested in learning the techniques and how to add these skills to your knowledge? Or is this discussion purely to discuss a controversy or ruffle feathers?

If the consensus says no: Does that mean that we should never discuss it here? Despite it being something born in the fly fishing traditions? Is it a lesser form of recreation that someone should be ashamed of?

What is the goal of this conversation?

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
ok how about this:

If the consensus says that yes, Euro Nymphing is fly fishing: Are you interested in learning the techniques and how to add these skills to your knowledge? Or is this discussion purely to discuss a controversy or ruffle feathers?

And if the consensus is no, euro nymphing is not fly fishing, would you no longer be interested in learning the techniques?

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
ok how about this:

If the consensus says no: Does that mean that we should never discuss it here? Despite it being something born in the fly fishing traditions? Is it a lesser form of recreation that someone should be ashamed of?

My point exactly. Either she didn't take it that way (and got pissed) or she did (and got pissed).

g_smolt

Recreational User
Funny thing is, all the noobs to fly fishing have never even heard of drag-nymphing, they only know the buzzwords of "czech nymphing" or "euro-nymphing" without understanding that pacific northwest gear fishing for steelhead played a minor role on those techniques.

Not sure why folks always feel the need to "elevate" their interpretation of a sport. You poke a sharp, pointy thing through a fishes head and call it sport. Deal with it.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
Funny thing is, all the noobs to fly fishing have never even heard of drag-nymphing, they only know the buzzwords of "czech nymphing" or "euro-nymphing" without understanding that pacific northwest gear fishing for steelhead played a minor role on those techniques.

Not sure why folks always feel the need to "elevate" their interpretation of a sport. You poke a sharp, pointy thing through a fishes head and call it sport. Deal with it.
Much like Nick and I, g_smolt here is also a legit professional in the sport. When the "pros" are telling you not to worry about this stuff, then maybe you're spening too much time and energy on arguing definitions and not talking about, y'know, actual fishing.

We'll talk plenty about whatever techniques you want to learn on here without judgment. We just expect the same treatment.

longputt

ok how about this:

I believe anyone should fish however they want without exclusion of others. Regulations should be set based on the resource...a put and take fishery in E WA should be different than a fishery that can sustain itself. LMB in E WA should be protected while planted trout that are going to die may as well be harvested.

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
I still want to know why fly-fisherman are entitled to special exclusive waters?

Regulations are usually imposed with specific goals, such as stopping lead from entering water ways, threatened fish from being foul hooked or contaminants entering water ways. I don't know of any such waters, where there aren't rules imposed on fly fishing too. For example, split shot is banned, you can only use a certain number of flies, you can't tie one fly to another, etc. Fly fishing tends to be much lower impact than other forms of fishing.

From a practical perspective, the fly fishing community is also more trusted. When was the last time you saw a crack head poaching bull trout with a fly rod? It doesn't happen. This is the sport of kings and we are classy motherf*ckers.

No one can deny that fly fishers also often have more "pull" in politics, which I sense is the issue you are really hinting at. Fly fishers tend to be more passionate than the average gear fisher and are more likely to be involved in councils, clubs, conservation groups and so on. Thus, they use that power to benefit themselves and other fly fishers. This is something I'm happy to turn a blind eye to. I'm not a saint.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts