Question...is Euro nymphing actually fly fishing?

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
I've heard arguments on both sides from guides and anglers on the east and west coasts. Some think it is, some think it isn't. Seems like a matter of opinion and where you draw the line on the definition of fly fishing. Thoughts?

g_smolt

Recreational User
I'm a noob at fly fishing?! Wow, I've been fly fishing for 24 years and the members of my fishing club who are mostly in their 50s-80s call it euro nymphing. I will let them know at our next meeting that they are all noobs.
If they've never heard of drag-nymphing but they've heard of euro-nymphing...then yes, they either don't know as much as they think they do, or they are mildly ignorant of how the rest of the world fishes, or they're new.

And in regards to your little "club" and your name-dropping spree in your first round of self-righteous and indignant posts...Les Johnson was my father's fishing partner in 60's and early 70's.

It's a big old goofy world out there, sunshine.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
\
No one can deny that fly fishers also often have more "pull" in politics, which I sense is the issue you are really hinting at. Fly fishers tend to be more passionate than the average gear fisher and are more likely to be involved in councils, clubs, conservation groups and so on. Thus, they use that power to benefit themselves and other fly fishers. This is something I'm happy to turn a blind eye to. I'm not a saint.
I thought the same thing until I moved to Oregon. CCA, consisting almost entirely of conventional or "well-rounded" anglers is VERY active here. They dwarf the only real "fly fishing" org (Native Fish Society). In the Seattle area and most of WA, the conservation groups are almost entirely fly fishermen in my experience, though. But in all my getting involved on this side of the border, it's been entirely different.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
Ooh, a test! Sorry to disappoint you, but I've learned the techniques and your question is irrelevant.
You've just shown us all that you're not interested in actual conversation. All you do is look for any strawman argument you can build, constant gaslighting, and trying to be a victim in any way you can.

I gave you an honest chance and tried to actually turn this in to a constructive conversation using honest questions. Was it a "test?" Damn right it was. A test to see what the hell you're after here.

So to the ignore list you go. I even though about donating to your club as an olive branch. But next time I talk to one of the other board members I've known for years, I'll be sure to let them know how well you represent them publicly.

I won't see whatever you type in response, so don't waste too much energy on it.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
I've heard arguments on both sides from guides and anglers on the east and west coasts. Some think it is, some think it isn't. Seems like a matter of opinion and where you draw the line on the definition of fly fishing. Thoughts?
This conversation has been had many times here. You could get a good idea of what folks think using the search function on the forum. It's even handier than the ignore button.

I just checked in to see if Salmo had used the 'dirty azz nympher' phrase yet. Or has that phrase been 'canceled' because it shocks the sensibilities of too many up stream dry fly fishermen?

longputt

I always thought if you were fishing with a fly it was called fly fishing. But them i tend to simplify things. Do i have to be casting in order for it to be considered fly fishing?
I all depends on widely varying regulations, definitions and opinions...just go fishing and have fun. There are some regulations that say if a floating device is helping propel your fly you are not fly-fishing.

Here's another one: If you fish in PA your "leader" must be less than 16 feet in fly fishing only waters. Longer than 16 feet and you are not fly-fishing.

Jojo

A sometimes eternal optimist
WFF Supporter
@longputt ....Ha! My leader is never that long! I don’t use strike indicators because i don’t know how to use them. I don’t nymph because i am terrible at it. I own a net but don’t use it because i don’t often catch fish bigger than 8 or 10 inches, (if i catch them at all). And I hate fishing from boats. (But i like fishing from float tubes.)

So here’s another question: If i go fly fishing and don’t catch a fish, can I still say I went fly fishing?

If i knew back then what i know now about all the protocols that go along with fly fishing, i never would have started. It’s too much. And it’s also why i don’t want to go fishing with anyone.

MT_Flyfisher

Here's another one: If you fish in PA your "leader" must be less than 16 feet in fly fishing only waters. Longer than 16 feet and you are not fly-fishing.
Thank you for that piece of information. I’m a resident of PA and have been “fly fishing” for over 60 years, but I didn’t know that.

Come to think of it, if I ever were to use a leader longer than 16’ I wouldn’t be fly fishing. I’d be sitting on the bank trying to get all the tangles out.

longputt

Thank you for that piece of information. I’m a resident of PA and have been “fly fishing” for over 60 years, but I didn’t know that.

Come to think of it, if I ever were to use a leader longer than 16’ I wouldn’t be fly fishing. I’d be sitting on the bank trying to get all the tangles out.
A friend from MD was checked! I'd never heard of such a rule.

Most of us old timers remember sight fishing the K with #2 stoneflies on 25 foot leaders!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts