Question...is Euro nymphing actually fly fishing?

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
I've heard arguments on both sides from guides and anglers on the east and west coasts. Some think it is, some think it isn't. Seems like a matter of opinion and where you draw the line on the definition of fly fishing. Thoughts?

Snopro

When using a fly rod, fly reel, fly line, and fly, is it legal to fish the fly only lakes if the leader is attached to a downrigger clip? Asking for a friend.

Oh, and is it fly fishing?

Last edited:

longputt

I usually just say I was practicing my casting.
Hey, never apologize for what you do....just go fishing and have a great time...ignore all of the discussion. Put this aside when you fish. Watch the river, watch your fly, watch the bugs, watch the swallows, watch the sun and listen to the river.

I only post the things I do to make a bunch of arrogant jerks uncomfortable. Do not let this affect you...do what you feel is right and you'll be right 100% of the time. Do your best to protect our beloved resource but don't lose sleep when it is not perfect.

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
And BTW, all fly fishermen are elitist pricks.

For the record, I'm a populist prick
L8VPdFIT_o.gif

girlfisher

Like Steelhead, trout will some day follow on the ESL. In the time remaining I am not going to wait for the grand hatch of Golden Stones that will rise to my dry flies. Instead, I find just as much joy in watching a bright, orange, leader link dart in one direction or the other. Its visual, controlled, and has a few inches of fly line still in the water. An 11'/3wt saves on shoulder fatigue and covers a lot of water. If interesting water is out of my wading abilities, out comes more fly line and I follow the same leader link with some added mends. I have personally given up on indicators in streams and rarely see a reason to tie on a dry fly. That said, my style of Czech Nymphing is relaxing and at times, quite rewarding.

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
Like Steelhead, trout will some day follow on the ESL. In the time remaining I am not going to wait for the grand hatch of Golden Stones that will rise to my dry flies. Instead, I find just as much joy in watching a bright, orange, leader link dart in one direction or the other. Its visual, controlled, and has a few inches of fly line still in the water. An 11'/3wt saves on shoulder fatigue and covers a lot of water. If interesting water is out of my wading abilities, out comes more fly line and I follow the same leader link with some added mends. I have personally given up on indicators in streams and rarely see a reason to tie on a dry fly. That said, my style of Czech Nymphing is relaxing and at times, quite rewarding.

I've been thinking about buying my wife a euro outfit, but I'm worried about the shoulder fatigue; she struggles with an 8ft 5wt, after a while. I was thinking of getting her a 10ft 2wt or an 11ft 2wt. Do you find that the extra length of the 11ft rod allows you to keep your arm down more than a 10ft rod, or does it not actually work out that way in practice?

girlfisher

I've been thinking about buying my wife a euro outfit, but I'm worried about the shoulder fatigue; she struggles with an 8ft 5wt, after a while. I was thinking of getting her a 10ft 2wt or an 11ft 2wt. Do you find that the extra length of the 11ft rod allows you to keep your arm down more than a 10ft rod, or does it not actually work out that way in practice?
Yes, the answer is "waaaay" less reaching. I had to learn to be conscious about not reaching. In time it gets easier and becomes natural.

longputt

When you all are 80, have blown shoulders, but can still kick your pontoon boat around, you'll be damn glad to drop a fly behind it and catch a few fish while fly fishing.
I fished with 2 guys in NV that were in their 80s. One day I met them at a reservoir and when I pulled up one of them was sound asleep in his tube and had blown up against the buoy line and was just bobbing away.

My bladder plays a big role in how I use my tube...I asked him what he does...His answer was pretty quick: "Depends"

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info