Question...is Euro nymphing actually fly fishing?

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
I've heard arguments on both sides from guides and anglers on the east and west coasts. Some think it is, some think it isn't. Seems like a matter of opinion and where you draw the line on the definition of fly fishing. Thoughts?

BC33

Do the fish even know the difference between trolling a fly and one stripped in? I think no... So why do we care?
Have you ever been on a hunting forum when they talk about best hunting round?

We love to push our own experience, and preference on others.

I remember a similar thread on Westfly years ago on indo fishing.....same kinda deal

newfydog

When I fish a stream I usually start out with a fairly conventional fly outfit, but in my pack I keep a compact and relatively stiff Tenkara rod rigged up with a Euro sighter and some Euro type tungsten flies. I often switch to the Euro rig for deep pools or just because it is what works. I still call it fly fishing, except when I record what worked in my fishing diary. There I refer to it as it dredging.

Furled

I have wondered whether some of the Euro style tungsten nymphs would meet WDFW's definition of "FLY":

"A lure on which thread, feathers, hackle, foam, rubber, or yarn cover a minimum of half the shank of the hook. Metallic colored tape, metal wire, metal tape, tinsel, mylar, or beadeyes may be used as integral part of the design of the fly pattern."

I supposed it would.

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
Have you ever been on a hunting forum when they talk about best hunting round?

We love to push our own experience, and preference on others.

I remember a similar thread on Westfly years ago on indo fishing.....same kinda deal

I do not the intent/understand your post....

I am not pushing anything IMHO.

Care to clarify?

longputt

Euronymphing isn't fly fishing and neither is using a bobber. They are crutches for those who can't cast.
I'm not sure casting defines if your are fly-fishing or not, it certainly could be one criteria.

What I think bobbers and euro have done is create an opportunity to fish all day long and turn fly-fishing into a "day" job. You can fish 8 to 4:30, rain or shine, sun or clouds, wind or calm...they (bobbers for sure) are perfect techniques for the guiding industry.

Meet at the launch at 8, 5 minute casting lesson and off the river by cocktail hour...

When I first watched bobbers becoming more mainstream I was worried it would have a negative impact on fisheries, because we are catching fish we rarely touched before, but I don't think I see a difference. Certainly more crowds but not less fish.

Last edited:

CreekScrambler

Yeah, I’d rather not play into the specialization game for trout. If I wanna contact nymph, I’ll just get on with a standard fly line and a standard rod. Sure, EN is a legitimate way to fly fish, just one that doesn’t appeal to me. Trout don’t exactly demand a ton of exotic techniques to catch, and a full EN setup comes at the exclusion of other, more flexible arrangements.

Has anybody else been immensely disappointed at competitive fly fishing footage where they’re trying to make hay over catching every 8” fish in a 20’ radius? Anybody can do that with a grasshopper or parachute Adams in any mountain creek using a short 2-3wt.

dustinchromers

I fished with 2 guys in NV that were in their 80s. One day I met them at a reservoir and when I pulled up one of them was sound asleep in his tube and had blown up against the buoy line and was just bobbing away.

My bladder plays a big role in how I use my tube...I asked him what he does...His answer was pretty quick: "Depends"

I've mastered the piss off the back of the tube tactic. It's dangerous as well as functional. You secure the rod, perform the body roll while sliding the knees under on the seat. Now elevate and balance. Then unleash with the force of five Raineys a high angle stream that clears your gear and lunch in the back area. Reverse process and remount. The hard part is actual spinning back into the drivers seat. It's poetry in motion.

CreekScrambler

I've mastered the piss off the back of the tube tactic. It's dangerous as well as functional. You secure the rod, perform the body roll while sliding the knees under on the seat. Now elevate and balance. Then unleash with the force of five Raineys a high angle stream that clears your gear and lunch in the back area. Reverse process and remount. The hard part is actual spinning back into the drivers seat. It's poetry in motion.
Ain’t nobody tryna drown with their johnson out. Poetry is a generous designation, but for whatever works, party on. I imagine a piss-soaked, empty float tube drifting around a lake as the world’s saddest reminder of the Man Who Tried.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts