Question...is Euro nymphing actually fly fishing?

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
I've heard arguments on both sides from guides and anglers on the east and west coasts. Some think it is, some think it isn't. Seems like a matter of opinion and where you draw the line on the definition of fly fishing. Thoughts?

longputt

I've mastered the piss off the back of the tube tactic. It's dangerous as well as functional. You secure the rod, perform the body roll while sliding the knees under on the seat. Now elevate and balance. Then unleash with the force of five Raineys a high angle stream that clears your gear and lunch in the back area. Reverse process and remount. The hard part is actual spinning back into the drivers seat. It's poetry in motion.
Do you remember the name of the guys who used to float tube Flaming Gorge in 1970's and talked about the whitecaps crashing over their heads? I recall one was a light weight class UW wrestler and he could kneel on the edge of his tube.

I don't need a big brown that bad!

longputt

When the first fish intended for food was captured by angling instead of trapping or netting. The caveman doing so couldn't help but notice he was having a lot of fun capturing dinner.
I don't know they used line and lures for Grand Banks cod and tuna until they fished the schools out?

But it is an interesting topic...if we did traditional duck and goose hunting we'd chase them down when they are flightless!

Albula

swollen member
View attachment 273386
Del Canty from Leadville, CO
Del was the real deal. He was an incredible taxidermist and innovative angler who did all his own mounts and painting and was really quite creative when it came to figuring out how to do the kind of fishing that produced, for him, exceptionally large fish. His "Lunker Hunter" float tubes were the most packable and lightest float tube alternative. I had to laugh when he developed a harness system to use for his fishing gear while fishing Antelope Flats at Flaming Gorge at night. It was the by-product of falling asleep after midnight in his float tube and waking up a few hours later only to find that he no longer was in possession of his rod and reel. I've got some great Del stories from back in the day.

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
This conversation has been had many times here. You could get a good idea of what folks think using the search function on the forum. It's even handier than the ignore button.

I just checked in to see if Salmo had used the 'dirty azz nympher' phrase yet. Or has that phrase been 'canceled' because it shocks the sensibilities of too many up stream dry fly fishermen?
Thanks, I will use search!

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
Eh Hem... They are called indicators people.

Also, could we please make sure we distinguish between the indicatoring where the client flips a mess of stuff over the side of a boat and then the guide rows the boat to keep the mess in the zone, and the indicatoring of a talented fisher who can cast 80 feet, dropping 5 different mends for different currents before the indicator and fly hit the water, mend another 50 or so times during the float, watch the indicator for signs of... well indication, watch that indication and with honed intuition know the direction to set the hook based on water speed, current seams, slack in the line and the direction of indication? Can we please do that? Not all indicatoring is the same.

DerekWhipple

I don't get why people care. Euro nymphing or indicator nymphing is not a 100% garauntee. If you use a bobber, you are missing strikes, and the further out you fish, the more fish you miss. If you euro nymph, you pick up most of your strikes, but you are severely limited in range.

I have a fly line on my reel with my 40' euro-leader, so yes, I am still fly-fishing.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts