Good old angling quotes

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
"The silence of the snows is over all the land, and the bright waters of our trout streams run almost black between icy banks...Mother Nature is fast asleep, but will soon awaken and bestir herself. We do not object to this reposeful mood as we know that there is a good time coming. We wish to be keen as mustard when the trout streams are open to us at last."
-Theodore Gordon, The Complete Fly Fisherman

Meeshka

I'm still looking for it, I was a kid, just learning how to tie, but this was a gooder. Still remember the jist, but I believe I remember it is from Izaak Walton - The Complete Angler.

This is the best I could find for now:
" O, Sir, doubt not that Angling is an art; is it not an art to deceive a trout with an artificial fly? "
Izaak Walton, Charles Cotton (1859)

Meeshka

If someone could help find this, the jist was:
Shoot a blackbird and hang it from a branch of a tree over a nice pool. Leave for a couple days till the flys get at it. They will lay eggs and the maggots will fall into the pool. Wrap some wool around your hook, drop it into the pool and you will bring home supper.
And if I can remember the jist after 50 years it has to be worth something
Doug

MT_Flyfisher

From “A River Runs Through It“ by Norman Maclean:

“Eventually, all things merge into one and a river flows through it.

”I am haunted by waters”

Like Maclean, the older I get I am haunted by memories which, like the waters, run deep. The waters have always been a part of my life and are inextricately linked in my mind, both good and bad. Eventually, they all merge into our being.

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
"And yes, it’s disheartening to find a stranger standing in what was once your secret pool and it’s either more or less disheartening in direct relation to how much trouble you went through to get there. Consequently, it’s easy to conclude that this upstart is fishing it all wrong, although it’s best not to hang around and watch, hoping to have that opinion verified. We local fishermen are widely believed (if not by others, then at least by ourselves) to have our home waters wired, but as Robert Traver pointed out, sometimes it’s the out-of-town nimrods who come in with fresh eyes, new ideas, and the latest fly patterns and proceed to fish circles around us. That does sting a little, but the deeper wound is that what were once our little secrets have become common knowledge." -Dumb Luck and the Kindness of Strangers

BC33

Another Geirach quote.....he's by far my favorite author. I always have a Gierach paperback with me on fishing trips.

And never fall into that statistical macho trap that’s so prevalent in fly-fishing these days. If you keep score, you can be beaten, but if you refuse to compete you can leave the impression that you have long since risen above that kind of crap. When someone says to you, “I caught forty-eight trout and ten of them were twenty inches or better. How’d you do?” say, “Yeah, we got some. Couple nice ones, too.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts