Good old angling quotes

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
And never fall into that statistical macho trap that’s so prevalent in fly-fishing these days. If you keep score, you can be beaten, but if you refuse to compete you can leave the impression that you have long since risen above that kind of crap. When someone says to you, “I caught forty-eight trout and ten of them were twenty inches or better. How’d you do?” say, “Yeah, we got some. Couple nice ones, too.

That's a good one. I read a bunch of Gierach a while back and didn't realize that was a quote of his. But, it's kinda my standard response when asked, "yeah, we got a few"...

BC33

That's a good one. I read a bunch of Gierach a while back and didn't realize that was a quote of his. But, it's kinda my standard response when asked, "yeah, we got a few"...
Gierach is must read material for any fly fisher, imo. I can open one of his books I've already read 3 times and just take off again.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Gierach is must read material for any fly fisher, imo. I can open one of his books I've already read 3 times and just take off again.

kinda plays into the, "you shouldn't take yourself too seriously in this hobby"....which I never have personally...Besides, I just really like his writing style.

BC33

kinda plays into the, "you shouldn't take yourself too seriously in this hobby"....which I never have personally...Besides, I just really like his writing style.
Absolutely on both...

I got fired up in that fly thread....I can do that. It's a weakness, I know. I should prolly just avoid politics all together, honestly.

Gierach is always a good read to re-center yourself as a human being.

BC33

There's another Gierach one I can't remember completely but it goes something like...

First you want to catch fish. Then lots of fish. Then big fish. Then lots of big fish. Then once you've proved whatever it is you wanted to, you come back around and fish how you want.

I know I butchered it......

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
There's another Gierach one I can't remember completely but it goes something like...

First you want to catch fish. Then lots of fish. Then big fish. Then lots of big fish. Then once you've proved whatever it is you wanted to, you come back around and fish how you want.

I know I butchered it......
That's the gist of it...

These days, I'm in that last category most of the time, but on Sunday, I'll be trout fishing and focusing on the second stage....ha!

bobduck

Whiskey Tastes Best from a TIN CUP
There are few fish in fresh water that cannot be taken with artificial flies, for the insects that drop upon the surface of the water are natural food for every form of freshwater fish save those that linger in the mud of the bottom such as catfish, bullheads, eels, suckers, carp, and other fish, that after all, are hardly worth the catching.

Boy Scouts Angler Merit Badge booklet.....1930

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
Gierach got me into Thomas McGuane, and a quote of his (on fishing) went something like:
“A better man might be content to commune with nature just by being there. But I must have a game to play.”
That's insightful, thanks. It does describe me. When the doctor told me I couldn't race anymore I pretty much lost interest in the bike even though I'd enjoyed the training so much.

NW_flyfisher

if it's not this, then what?
“A man’s gotta eat!” name unknown
Heard 40+ years ago on the Green River in Utah when a fly fisher kept his 18” trout and other fly fishers asked this guy why he wouldn’t release it.

Zak

WFF Supporter
An early, extensive list of “angling virtues” is provided by Gervase Markham:

. . . a skilful angler ought to be a general scoller, and seen in all the Liberal Sciences, as a Grammarian to know how either to write or discourse of his art in true and fitting terms, either without affectation or rudeness. He should have sweetness of speech, to perswade and entice others to delight in an exercise so much laudable. He should have strength of arguments to defend and maintain his profession, against envy or slander.
He should have knowledge in the Sun, Moon, and Stars, that by their aspects he may guess the seasonableness or unseasonableness of the weather, the breeding of storms, and from what coast the winds are delivered. He should be a good knower of countries, and well used to High-wayes, that by taking the readiest paths to every Lake, Brook and River, his Journies may be more certain and less wearisome. He should have knowledge in proportions of all sorts, whether Circular, Square, or Diametrical, that when he shall be questioned of his diurnal progresses, he may give a Geographical description of the angles and channels of Rivers, how they fall from their heads, and what compasses they fetch in their several windings. He must also have the perfect art of numbering. . . .

GERVASE MARKHAM, COUNTRY CONTENTMENTS (1615), reprinted in THE OPEN ROAD: A LITTLE BOOK FOR WAYFARERS (Lucas, ed., 1909) at 142-43 (idiosyncratic spelling in original).

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts